Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4919 Discussions

E810-XXV-2 RSS Number of receives queues stucked to 1

GiovaBx
Beginner

Hi all,

I'm testing an E810-XVV-2 dual port network card and I'm facing really bad performance compared to an old (and unfortunately obsolete) X520.

At the moment I need just 10Gbps links.

Under Windows 10 64 bit 22h2 (desktop)  I want to use the two ports of the board to read from 12 gigabit cameras connected to an Aruba 2730F switch. Each port of the board read 6 cameras (about 5Gbps). Note: these cameras sends frames using 8K UDP telegrams (i.e. a lot of small telegrams). 

I usually does not tweak too much the driver settings: I just enable the jumbo frames, disable all the CRC offloading options and increase the number of receive buffers. All the other options, in particular the RSS and the number of receive queues, are kept to their default value.

Unfortunately this board seem to ignore what it is set as "number of receive queues" and always use 1. As you can see the default is 16

GiovaBx_0-1708002395399.png

but when I check in the powershell the actual number is 1.

GiovaBx_1-1708002504661.png

When I start the software to grab from the camera is see that all the load is handle by a single CPU thread.

I have the same behaviour in two different PCs with different motherboards and processors: a single i7 processor MB and a dual Xeon processors MB.

Any hint to get this setting to a value different from 1: simple a single CPU thread is not able to handle all the interrupts for the incoming telegrams. 

Regards

Giovanni

0 Kudos
20 Replies
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hi GiovaBx,

Please allow us some time to review the details and we will get back with an update shortly.

Thanks & Regards

Poojitha.N

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hi GiovaBx,

Good day!

Could you please proceed with 16 Queues and Dual CPU thread.

Kindly find the below datasheet link and required details will be available in Page no: 33 > 1.4.2 > Host Memory Objects.

https://cdrdv2.intel.com/v1/dl/getContent/613875

Regards,

Poojitha

0 Kudos
GiovaBx
Beginner

Hi Poojitha,

Sorry but I can't understand what you ask me to do.

Can you give me more details?

I read page 33 of the datasheet but I have no clue on what I should tweak to make it works as desired.

Maybe I did not explain me correctly.

I try to change the number of queue both using driver settings and using power shell command, but the value remains always to 1 no matter the value that I set

Giovanni 

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hi GiovaBx,

Thank you for your update. Kindly allow us some more time to check in details to provide you the update.

Appreciate your patience!

Regards,

Poojitha

0 Kudos
Poojitha
Employee

Hi GiovaBx,

The adapter E810-XVV-2 that you are using is compatible only with servers and not with the desktop.

We request you to check with the desktop-compatible adapter and please let us know the status.

Thank you!

Regards,

Poojitha

0 Kudos
GiovaBx
Beginner

Do you mean that if I want to use this adapter I must install windows server?

Does this mean that Intel does not really make anymore any 10/25/40 Gbps adapter compatible with Windows Desktop?

This explain me why I can't find any Intel nic that works as I expected (and how the old X520 does).

Really a bad news.

0 Kudos
Dineshbabu
Employee

Hi GiovaBx,

We apologize for any inconvenience caused. We request that you allow some time to check if there is an option to change the queue value, and we will get back to you with an update shortly.

Regards,

Dinesh S

0 Kudos
GiovaBx
Beginner

Hi.

Any news?

Can you suggest any Intel solution that works as it should (or as the X520 used to do) on Windows 10 Desktop?

0 Kudos
Poojitha
Employee

Hello GiovaBx,

Greetings for the day!

We are following up on the case. Kindly refer to the following performance Tuning Guide for Windows on page 36 section on setting RSS Queue via PowerShell and optimization.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/content-details/784543/intel-ethernet-700-800-series-windows-performance-tuning-guide.html

Thank you for your support and understanding!

Regards,

Poojitha

0 Kudos
Irwan_Intel

Hello GiovaBx,

Kindly refer to the following performance Tuning Guide for Windows on page 36 section on setting RSS Queue via Powershell and optimization.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/content-details/784543/intel-ethernet-700-800-series-windows-performance-tuning-guide.html

Regards,
Irwan_Intel

0 Kudos
Poojitha
Employee

Hello GiovaBx,

Greetings for the day!

We are following up on the case. Kindly refer to the following performance Tuning Guide for Windows on page 36 section on setting RSS Queue via PowerShell and optimization.

Regards,

Poojitha

0 Kudos
Poojitha
Employee

Hello GiovaBx,

Greetings for the day!

Regards,

Poojitha

0 Kudos
Poojitha
Employee

Hello GiovaBx,

Greetings for the day!

Regards,

Poojitha

0 Kudos
Poojitha
Employee

Hello GiovaBx,

Greetings for the day!

Regards,

Poojitha

0 Kudos
GiovaBx
Beginner

Thanks I will test it ASAP and I will come back to you with the results

0 Kudos
Poojitha
Employee

Hi GiovaBx,

Thank you for your response. We will wait for your further update.

Thank you for understanding!

Regards,

Poojitha

0 Kudos
Poojitha
Employee

Hello GiovaBx,

We are following up on the case. Can you please provide the update on the case to check and help you further.

Thank you for your understanding!

Regards,

Poojitha

0 Kudos
GiovaBx
Beginner

Hi. I read the guide that you suggest me.

My problem is still there, but I think I found a possible problem.

I set the each port of the network card to use 4 not overlapped threads (real core) on the first CPU (I have a dual CPU system and the network card is handled by the first one)

As you can see in the following screenshot, the first port is stucked to use 1 RSS queue, while the second can use 4 (and actually uses 4 as shown in the indirection table)

GiovaBx_1-1715927643606.png

Unfortunately, this command (that I found in the documentation) does not work

Set-NetAdapterRss -name E810_1.1 NumberOfReceiveQueues 4
Set-NetAdapterRss : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'NumberOfReceiveQueues'.
At line:1 char:1
+ Set-NetAdapterRss -name E810_1.1 NumberOfReceiveQueues 4
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Set-NetAdapterRss], ParameterBindingException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,Set-NetAdapterRss

I will try to update drivers and firmware to see if after the update the problem is solved

0 Kudos
GiovaBx
Beginner

I just updated the driver to the Release 29.1 (i had the 28.3).

Now I get the right values (and behaviour) for the RSS queues

GiovaBx_0-1715938805131.png

Now that I can configure the board as the older one, I can keep testing its performance

0 Kudos
Poojitha
Employee

Hello GiovaBx,

Thank you for your response. I truly appreciate your effort. Please let us know if you require any other help or details you require, or kindly confirm if we can close the case if the issue resolves.

Regards,

Poojitha

0 Kudos