Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20709 Discussions

Intel® Iris® Xe doesn't support aspect ratio 21:9 and 3440x1440 resolution

L_Kehrseit
Novice

Dear Intel Customer Support Team,

I bought a new Laptop:

Lenovo Thinkbook 15 G4 IAP [21DJ000CGE]

Intel i5-1235U

Intel® Iris® Xe graphics

HDMI 2.0

Win 11 Pro 64 bit

I connected it with my monitor (Iiyama G-Master GB34666WQSU) via a HDMI cable (High Speed with Ethernet) which has a maximum resolution of 3440 x 1440 @144Hz and 21:9 aspect ratio.

However, I cannot change the settings to the resolution 3440 x 1440 via the Win 11 display settings, since only to the maximum resolution of 3840 x 2160 or full hd resolution 1920 x 1080 are available.

With my old laptop (Aspire 5 (A515-51G), Processor: i5-8250U, Intel UHD Graphics 620, HDMI 1.4b) i was able to run that resolution by 40 Hz.

I recently updated the driver for Intel Iris Xe graphics and tried to change the settings via the Intel Graphics control room and via Intel Arc Control but I cannot find any option to set the resolution of 3440 x 1440 or an advanced mode for setting manual resolutions. I also connected the Monitor via a DP cable with an DP to HDMI adapter, however this didn't help.

Please note that the desired resultion is stated as supported via the information page of the display settings in the Intel Graphics control room (see attached screenshot)

Could you send me alternate drivers or problem-solving suggestions and let me know how I can get both a 21:9 aspect ratio and the resolution 3440 x 1440 with my current setup of laptop and monitor?

Best regards

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello @L_Kehrseit

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.

We understand you are experiencing issues getting your desired resolution and aspect ratio, we will be more than happy to assist you.

Please download the latest OEM graphics driver from here: Intel VGA Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkBook 14 G4 IAP, ThinkBook 15 G4 IAP

Then, download and run the Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU). After that, please install the driver previously downloaded.

You can install Intel® Graphics Command Center (Beta) and create a custom profile by going to: Display > General > Resolution > + icon.

If the issue persists, you can repeat the process using out latest driver 31.0.101.4900.

Also, in order to have more information about your system, please download, install and run Intel® System Support Utility for Windows. Make sure you check “Everything” before you scan, then save the report and attach it to your response.

Then, please generate and attach the Report for Intel® Intel Graphics Command Center

Best regards,

Jose B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello L_Kehrseit

We hope you are doing fine. 

Were you able to clean install the OEM graphics driver after using the Intel DDU? 

Let us know if you still need assistance by attaching the required reports

Best regards,  

Jose B.   

0 Kudos
L_Kehrseit
Novice

Hello Jose B.,

I was not able to enter the Windows safe mode, since I had to enter a BitLock number, that I didn't know and I didn't want to change too much concerning the laptop, since I wasn't sure whether I wanted to keep it. Therefore I only installed the Intel® Graphics Command Center (Beta) and the latest driver 31.0.101.4900. 

However, I was not able to get my desired resolution, because the Graphics Command Center constantly reported errors and didn't allow me to use the resolution - no matter which Hz rate I chose.

I got in contact with the company from which I bought the laptop and they statet, that the laptop has only HDMI version is 1.4 or 1.4b, which might be a cause for the problem under Windows 11. However, this worked with Windows 10.

To make this short, I want to tell you that I returned the laptop because of the installed old HDMI version, which was always indicated as higher in the official documents and information. I bought a new laptop with HDMI 2.0 and now the resolution I want works without any additional settings - it directly selected the correct resolution and 60 Hz when connecting the monitor and chosing the extended display.

The problem is therefore no longer relevant for me, but thanks for your help.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello @L_Kehrseit

Thank you for your reply and the confirmation.

We are glad to know you finally are able to use your desired resolution, thank you for taking the time to share this fix, and hopefully, it may help other community members experiencing similar behavior. Since the thread is now solved, we will proceed to close it. Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

It was a pleasure to assist you and thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Jose B.

0 Kudos