Intel® FPGA University Program
University Program Material, Education Boards, and Laboratory Exercises
1181 Discussions

DE1 (non SoC) no idea where to start for monitor program.

dominikdanda
Beginner

Hello!

Last semester, I was pretty functionally able to use my DE1 board to do a lot of my course work in Digital Logic using Quartus 13 (as far as I know the latest supported version for DE1).

Unfortunately, it seems I might be a little more out of luck this time, since the follow up course in Computer Organization requires that I not only use a Nios-II soft processor, but also interfacing with Monitor Program. Seeing as the Altera website is now mostly depreciated, I was wondering if there was anywhere I could download the latest compatible version of the Monitor Program with Q13. 

I know that this might seem unfortunate, but the DE1 is what I could afford, and unfortunately didn't know better that the course board is actually the updated SoC version.

I would really appreciate any help with this, since I definitely don't want my perfectly capable board to go to waste!

Thanks a lot, Dominik

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi Dominik

You could try taking a look at this link below:

https://fpgacademy.org/tools.html

There are download links for tools and example designs.

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
dominikdanda
Beginner

Hi Jingyang, 

Unfortunately this link isn't too helpful, since the earliest version of the monitor program provided there is 18.1, which is incompatible with the DE1. I was wondering if any archive downloads exist, since at one point they had to, since I found documents referencing the use of the monitor program with the DE1.

Thanks,

Dominik

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi Dominik

Sorry it seems like you would need to upgrade your Quartus version to 18.1 or 21.1 to match the latest working version of the Monitor Program.

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
dominikdanda
Beginner

Hello Jingyang,

Again, as I mentioned in the original post, this isn't possible. The latest supported version of Quartus for the DE1 is Q13.

I want to know if there are any legacy downloads of the monitor program (just as there are for Quartus) that I can use.

Dominik

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi Dominik

Sorry there is no link to support legacy download version for both Quartus and the Monitor Program.

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi Dominik

Any more follow up question for this case?

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi

Since there are no feedback for this thread, I shall set this thread to close pending. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

If you happened to close this thread you might receive a survey. If you think you would rank your support experience less than 4 out of 10, please allow me to correct it before closing or if the problem can’t be corrected, please let me know the cause so that I may improve your future service experience.

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos