Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4800 Discussions

Base Clock is not identified on ubuntu 20.04

awesome
Novice

Hello.
Intel Xeon 4216, 6226R is in use on ubuntu 20.04.

If you check with turbostat, cpu /proc/cpuinfo, etc., the Base Clock should be 2.1GHz and 2.9GHz, respectively, but it is confirmed to be 800MHz and 1200MHz.

When I looked it up, I found the following information.
https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/Intel-CPU-CONSTANTLY-Throttled-to-Lowest-Frequency-Ubuntu-20-04/m-p/1255338?profile.language=ko

As you answered above, I am inquiring because I couldn't find a solution even if I searched for OS community. (It doesn't solve with cpufreq, cpupower, tuned, etc.)

Other services such as Openstack are checked as above, and normal clocks are checked only on servers in the k8s service. In the BIOS, the normal/abnormal server is set to Max Performance.

I would like to ask if the Intel P-state Driver allocates Base Clock differently for each service.

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello awesome,

Thank you for posting in Intel community Forum.

Base on your inquiry, we have specific forum for these issues or inquiries. I will be transferring this thread for faster response. 

If you have questions, please let us know. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Simon-Intel
Employee

Hi Awesome,

Thank you for reaching out to the Intel community. Your concern is important to us, and we are committed to resolving it as swiftly as possible. To effectively address the issue you're experiencing, we kindly request some additional information from your end.

Could you please provide the following details?

1. System Model:
  2. When did the issue start, and were there any changes made prior to its occurrence?
  3. Additionally, we require the logs from the BMC (Baseboard Management Controller).

Please refer to the following link for guidance on generating BMC logs:

Link to BMC Logs Generation Guide

Your prompt response with this information will greatly expedite our diagnostic and resolution process.

We eagerly await your reply.

Best Regards,

Simon

0 Kudos
awesome
Novice

hello.

Thank you for leaving a comment.

We will deliver the information you requested.

Server model: HPE DL380 Gen10
When did the problem start: unclear
BMC Log: It is difficult to provide because it is an HPE server. Can it be replaced with SSU log?

thank you.

0 Kudos
Simon-Intel
Employee

Hi Awesome,

Greetings for the day!

In order to assist you further. Could you please confirm if the processor is embedded on the motherboard.

Regards,

Simon

0 Kudos
awesome
Novice

hello.

Thank you for leaving a comment.

no. Because the server is an HPE server, it is removable.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Simon-Intel
Employee

Hello Awesome,

Greetings for the day!

As you confirmed that you have checked Openstack services and other settings, it appears that the issue may be related to Ubuntu. We kindly suggest reaching out to Ubuntu support for further assistance in resolving this matter. We kindly request you to contact Ubuntu support.

We will await you reply

Best Regards,

Simon

0 Kudos
Simon-Intel
Employee

Hi Awesome,

Thank you for choosing Intel.

This is the first follow-up regarding the issue you reported to us.

We wanted to inquire whether you had the opportunity to contact Ubuntu support and if there are any updates.

We await your reply.

Regards,

Simon

0 Kudos
awesome
Novice

Hello.
I've searched and inquired about uuntu community, but I haven't received any information about cpu frequency fixation.

Would it be difficult to check the problem even if I deliver the SSU Log?

0 Kudos
awesome
Novice

What we want to check is a solution, of course, even better, but it's important to make sure there's nothing wrong with the CPU.

0 Kudos
Simon-Intel
Employee

Hi Awesome,

Thank you for your reply. We certainly understand your concern and will do our best to assist.

We can check this internally with our team for any updates. However, before we proceed, I request that you please share the SSU logs so we can forward them to our internal team. For reference, please refer to the following link: Intel SSU Logs.

We eagerly await your reply.

Best Regards,

Simon

0 Kudos