Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Create 'new project' with 'vtl'

Daniel_B_Intel2
Employee

If you worked with VTune Performance Analyzer on Windows then probably you are regular to create projects. Project is a kind of logic unit containing a number of activities and activities results. The command

vtl show

displays the project tree of activities and activities results.

The default mode of 'vtl' is to have only one project. By default it's root path will be in $HOME/.VTune. The environment variable VTUNE_USER_DIR overwrites this default value.
(See 'Setting Environment Variables for vtl' in the manual for more info)

So here is the 'trick'. Create new projects and return back to existing projects by setting the environment variable VTUNE_USER_DIR to the appropriate paths.

-Create new project per need.
-Maintain small projects.
-Give meaningful names for your project directories.
-Add some text file inside the project directory with the description of the project.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
asenjo
Innovator

I'm not in windows, but in a remote linux machine I would like to be able to create new projects without the gui vtlec (is kind of slow to remotely open the gui just to create a new project that I later select with "vtl project" and use with vtl. Does someone know a trick for that?. Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
If you worked with VTune? Performance Analyzer on Windows then probably you are regular to create projects. Project is a kind of logic unit containing a number of activities and activities results. The command
vtl show

displays the project tree of activities and activities results.

The default mode of ?vtl? is to have only one project. By default it?s root path will be in $HOME/.VTune. The environment variable VTUNE_USER_DIR overwrites this default value.
(See ?Setting Environment Variables for vtl? in the manual for more info)

So here is the ?trick?. Create new projects and return back to existing projects by setting the environment variable VTUNE_USER_DIR to the appropriate paths.

-Create new project per need.
-Maintain small projects.
-Give meaningful names for your project directories.
-Add some text file inside the project directory with the description of the project.

Thanks, Daniel. Alternately, you can use the 'vtl project' and 'vtl query -project' commands. 'vtl project ' sets the project to use for all future commands. 'vtl query -project' displayes the project file in use.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Thanks, Daniel. Alternately, you can use the 'vtl project' and 'vtl query -project' commands. 'vtl project ' sets the project to use for all future commands. 'vtl query -project' displayes the project file in use.

It could work on my case "vtl project c:tempvtunevtproject26.vpj run" - actually your .vpj file can be generated from VTune Analyzer's GUI or VTL command.

The key point is that only *last* activity in .vpj file will be used. That is the limitation you can't specify *any* activity in .vpj file, just last one.

0 Kudos
asenjo
Innovator

Zhen Yu Wang (Intel): "actually your .vpj file can be generated from VTune Analyzer's GUI or VTL command."

That's the question.... can you really generate a brand new .vpj file with the vtl command?. I know how to do that with vtlec, but not with vtl :-( (It really will help me to use the faster vtl command line approach, since the vtune installation is in a remote machine and the GUI interface is too slow to run it remotely). Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Quoting - asenjo

Zhen Yu Wang (Intel): "actually your .vpj file can be generated from VTune Analyzer's GUI or VTL command."

That's the question.... can you really generate a brand new .vpj file with the vtl command?. I know how to do that with vtlec, but not with vtl :-( (It really will help me to use the faster vtl command line approach, since the vtune installation is in a remote machine and the GUI interface is too slow to run it remotely). Thanks in advance.

What I have always done is

1. empty the default project via 'vtl delete -a'
  2. copy the vtldefault.vpj file to a new filename, e.g., myproject.vpj
  3. use the 'vtl project' command to set it as the *active* project

The key is that you need an *empty* project file and if you just copy vtldefault.vpj and then delete all after setting the new project, it will actually delete the old results. So, it might be a good idea to save an empty project from which you can copy to create new projects, e.g., cp vtldefault.vpj empty.vpj

0 Kudos
asenjo
Innovator

In linux, the problem with 'vtl delete -a' is that it erases the whole project.vpj file instead of leaving an empty file. I think this should be fixed. So, in order to empty a project I usually run an script to iteratively delete all the activities instead of doing the 'vtl delete -a'.

0 Kudos