Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

Intel VTune loading data file error (failed: invalid string (97))

Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Hello,

Since last week I have been experiencing a mixture of Signal 7 (SIGBUS) error and failure to load a data file.

In our environment VTune (ver. 2020.0.0.605129) connects over SSH to remote target which is a Skylake server. The Skylake server runs a SEP collector which samples our uplink layer 5G simulation module. The process of collection always completes without any error and successfully creates a samples data file *.tb7.

VTune GUI which is installed on my development machines during parsing phase of .tb7 file displays a following error:

vtune: Error: Cannot load data file `/home/workspace/VRAN/vl1/build_rcp_avx/artifacts/bts_artifacts/PRACH_profiling/profiling/data/data.0/sep7ffff1183700.20200714T151424.068574.tb7' (tbrw call "TBRW_INMEM_initialize_data(tbrwFile->getHandle(), streamIndex)" failed: invalid string (97)).

At random times VTune receives a SIGBUS error which might be sent due to accessing or touching probably undefined portion of memory mapped file(s).

I'm attaching the Ubuntu .crash file and vtune log file.

Thank you for your help.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
MinYeol_L_Intel
Employee

Yes, at least for now.

The issue happens in a combination of running Vtune collector in non-root privilege and some JIT activities inside container in my understanding. So, it may not happen all the times as you experience. 

View solution in original post

25 Replies
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Hi Min,

Yes VTune process had a root privilege during the profiling process.

Hope it answers your question.

0 Kudos
MinYeol_L_Intel
Employee

Thanks for confirming it. The issue comes from that VTune collector couldn't collect data properly inside container unless root privilege is used. That's why the result file (tb7) had unexpected data that can't be processed.

Hope this answers your question.

Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Hi Min,

Thank you for explaining that issue.

So the solution is to always run the VTune process with the root privilege --   just to be clear?

Now we have a new machine used for solely for profiling (Cascade-Lake) server and this kind of errors does not exist.

Best regards,

Bernard

0 Kudos
MinYeol_L_Intel
Employee

Yes, at least for now.

The issue happens in a combination of running Vtune collector in non-root privilege and some JIT activities inside container in my understanding. So, it may not happen all the times as you experience. 

Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Hi Min

Thank you for your help.

This thread can be closed now.

--Bernard

0 Kudos