Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Trouble profiling code in Fedora/WSL2 with VTune

sfreeman
Beginner

I'm trying to use VTune 2020 Update 1 (build 607630) to profile some mixed Fortran 90/C code on WSL2 (fedoraremix/Windows 10 version 2004). I have compiled the code with ifort/icc and it runs fine without VTune, but when I run VTune in memory-consumption mode, it crashes with the following error:

vtune: Error: [Instrumentation Engine]: Source/pin/injector_u/loadercommands.cpp: NotifyOnMiniloaderFailure: 667: Injector: caught unexpected signal 11 while running miniloader on file /usr/bin/bash
vtune: Collection failed.
vtune: Internal Error

I've tried updating bash and running my program from sh and tcsh and it results in the same error. I'm having trouble tracking down if this is an issue with Fedoraremix, WSL2, or VTune. I will try to install it on Debian on WSL2 and see if I get the same result. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ChithraJ_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

We will be very happy to help you with your issue. Could you please provide more details such as steps to produce, source code if possible? So that we will be able to investigate more on the issue you are facing.

Regards,

Chithra

0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Hi Freeman

Meanwhile could you also try running the vtune-self-checker.sh and share the results with us. The script would be available from <vtune-install-dir>/bin64 on your WSL. 

Thanks

Arun Jose

0 Kudos
Jeremie_V_
Beginner

Hello,

If it is of any help, I got today the same error message with Intel VTune Profiler 2020 Update 1 (build: 607630) on a Fedora 31 (workstation edition).

Yours sincerely,

Jeremie

0 Kudos
AthiraM_Intel

Hi,

WSL2 is unsupported platform for VTune and therefore you are getting the error. First you could try user-based sampling and then go for any other analysis type. Or you can use VTune on some supported platforms (refer release notes for VTune : https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/intel-vtune-release-notes.html ).

Thanks

0 Kudos
ChithraJ_Intel

Hi,

Could you please let us know if your issue still persists.

If it is resolved, please do let us know if we can close this thread.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ChithraJ_Intel

Hi,

We haven't heard back anything from you. So, we are closing the case by assuming that your issue got resolved. Please feel free to raise a new thread if you have any further issues.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JWagner
New Contributor I

This post might be old but I just run in the same error on a Ubuntu 20.04 workstation and the Vtune-gui. For everyone else who ends up here: I solved it by simply executing the gui with root priviliges.

0 Kudos