Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Vtune Error: Failed to execute sep process

Matias_C_
Beginner

Hi all,

I am trying to run Vtune using the sampling drivers and getting the following error:

/root> amplxe-cl -v -target-pid=12205 -collect memory-access -knob analyze-mem-objects=true -knob dram-bandwidth-limits=true
amplxe: Warning: Measuring peak bandwidth may be not accurate in the attach mode since the system can be heavily loaded at the time of the measurement. Accurate peak DRAM bandwidth is important for further analysis. When collection is done, check the Bandwidth Utilization Histogram on the Summary view and make sure the Low/Medium/High utilization thresholds are correct for your system and manually adjust them, if required.
amplxe: Warning: To profile kernel modules during the session, make sure they are available in the /lib/modules/kernel_version/ location.
amplxe: Error: Failed to execute sep process. Data collection is interrupted.
amplxe: Collection failed.
amplxe: Internal Error

I have built and installed all the drivers as explained in the documentation. I can also run the sep binary standalone without any issue:

/root>  sep -version
Sampling Enabling Product version: 4.1 built on Jun 29 2017 19:51:03
SEP User Mode Version: 4.1.0
SEP Driver Version: 4.1.0
PAX Driver Version: 1.0.2
Platform type: 108
CPU name: Intel(R) Xeon(R) Processor code named Broadwell-EP
PMU: broadwell_server
Sampling interrupt mode: Maskable
Virtualization platform: Guest VM on KVM
Copyright (C) 2007-2016 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
/root> sep -start -app grep                                  <= Running fine
Usage: grep [OPTION]... PATTERN [FILE]...
Try 'grep --help' for more information.

Please note I'm trying to run this on a virtual platform.

Any pointers will be much appreciated!

Best,

Matias

0 Kudos
9 Replies
James_S
Employee

Hi Matias,

Can you please follow the article "Managing the Sampling Driver for Linux Targets" from the help documentation at https://software.intel.com/en-us/sep_driver.

Thanks

Zhuowei

0 Kudos
Matias_C_
Beginner

Hi Zhuowei,

I have already follow that article to get the sampling drivers up and running. I also verified them based on that article:

> ./insmod-sep -q
pax driver is loaded and owned by group "root" with file permissions "660".
socperf2_0 driver is loaded and owned by group "root" with file permissions "660".
sep4_1 driver is loaded and owned by group "root" with file permissions "660".
vtsspp driver is loaded and owned by group "root" with file permissions "660".

As mentioned above I can run the SEP process from the Vtune bin64 directory without any issues and the -version option is also detecting all the drivers... Is there any logs vtune produce on errors I can look at to get more specifics as to what might the going wrong with the sep process? Or any other pointers as appreciated as well, thanks!

Best,

Matias

0 Kudos
Matias_C_
Beginner

Hi all,

Looks like the issue was with Vtunes itself. I tried using an older version (2017 initial version) and that worked just fine with SEP 4.0.

The failing version for me was 2017 update 4 which had SEP4.1.

Best,

Matias

0 Kudos
James_S
Employee

Hi Matias, 

What virtual platform did you run? Have you tested the newest released 2018 initial version, does it work as expected? For the failed 2017u4 version,  can you please execute the command 'amplxe-feedback -create-bug-report report.zip' to create the bug report? You may either send me via private message or open an issue at Online Service CenterThank you very much.

Best regards,

Zhuowei 

0 Kudos
Matias_C_
Beginner

Hi Zhuowei,

Sorry for the delay.

I'm running a wind river based linux over a KVM hypervisor.

My license only allows me to use Vtune up to 2017 initial version. I was using an evaluation license for the 2017 V4 test and since it expired I can't install it again (same issue with latest 2018 version). 

I also created a follow up post. The hardware event counters Vtune collects on my setup don't add up (they seem to be wrong)... so I'm starting to think Vtune just doesn't work for my specific setup (have you seen this happening before?). For reference this is the post I'm referring to: https://software.intel.com/en-us/comment/1912214

Thanks!

Best,

Matias

0 Kudos
James_S
Employee

Hi Matias,

I would promote you to file tickets at Online Service Center about the issues you have met when using VTune in order to have a quicker response, and you can upload the bug report there to allow us for further analysis. Many thanks.

Best regards,

Zhuowei 

0 Kudos
Matias_C_
Beginner

Hi Zhuowei,

Unfortunately my license does not have online support anymore and hence I can't file a ticket on the online service center. If I end up buying a license renewal I'll be sure to file a ticket and attach the bug report! If you can think of any reason as to why the above two issues might be happening please let me know! Thanks!

Best,

Matias

0 Kudos
James_S
Employee

Hi Matias,

All users can submit issues via Online Service Center, it does not matter with your license status. You may need to crate an account if you do not have the Online Service Center account. Thanks a lot.

Best regards,

Zhuowei

0 Kudos
Matias_C_
Beginner

Hi Zhuowei,

I don't think that is the case. At least when I login to the support portal I can't submit a ticket. In the help section it explicitly states that a paid license is needed to access priority support (which is the website were the ticket is submitted):

"Users with paid licenses can access Priority Support. Use the Online Service Center for confidential secure access to Intel engineers."

If there is an alternate way of creating none priority tickets please point me to the website!

Best,

Matias

0 Kudos