Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

2015 Update 1 MSVC GUI "mark timeline" says "not implemented"

Marián__VooDooMan__M
New Contributor II

Greetings,

as I said in the topic, when I click "mark timeline", in the GUI log reading "not implemented.

PS: I am using native x64 (not CLR app, nor Win Store app).

specs: Win 8.1 Pro x64, x64 target app, MSVC 2013 with the latest updates to both MSVC and Windows.

Regards

0 Kudos
8 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee

What analysis type are you using and what is the *exact* message you are seeing.  Here is what I am seeing.  However, the marks still appear in the timeline.

mark-not-managed.PNG

marks-on-timeline.PNG

I'm running Amplifier XE 2015 Update 1 in Visual Studio* 2013 on Windows* 8.1 x64, using both Basic Hotspots and Advanced Hotspots.

0 Kudos
Marián__VooDooMan__M
New Contributor II

I better made a sreenshot:

not_implemented.png

My config: Haswell, Win 8.1 Pro x64, target application x64, MSVC 2013 Update 4 RC.

VTune config:

new analyses -> advanced hotspots -> hotspots, call counts, stacks and context switches
collection data limit, MB -> 102400

hope this helps.

Please, let me know whether you can reproduce the issue.

NB: My code is NOT managed code.

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Okay, you say your code is not managed, but it looks like VTune Amplifier is configured to profile managed code.  Are you using VTune Amplifier within Visual Studio* or standalone?  If standalone, look in your project settings and make sure the "Managed code profiling mode" is set to "Native":

native-profiling.png

0 Kudos
Marián__VooDooMan__M
New Contributor II

Yes, I using VTune inside MSVC. I didn't know there is possibility to run it "outside"/standalone, I always thought it is MSVC plug-in only.

0 Kudos
Marián__VooDooMan__M
New Contributor II

FWIW In standalone mode the issue is present as well.

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

With managed code profile mode set to native?  Regardless of the message, do you see the marks in the timeline?

0 Kudos
Marián__VooDooMan__M
New Contributor II

Yes, set to "native" exactly like your screenshot in post #4.

No, there are no marks.

FWIW: I pressed it many times, but error message was displayed only once.

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

I was able to reproduce this issue. At this moment I suggest to avoid pressing "Mark timeline" button when using "Advanced Hotspots" + stacks or stacks and call counts. We'll fix messaging and collection issues in next update.

0 Kudos