Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

Advanced Hotspot analysis problem

PCox
Beginner

I’m trying to analyse an OpenCL program with VTune Amplifier XE 2015 (update 4) using VS2010 and VS2013 on Windows 7 enterprise.

Under "Algorithm Analysis", I choose 'Advanced Hotspots", and then select, from the "Analyze Processor Graphics hardware events" dropdown, either "Overview" or "Compute Basic", I get the banner message:

“Processor Graphics analysis is only available on systems with Intel HD graphics and Intel Graphics Driver installed.

This comes up when using either i5-4460 (see attached "PC.jpg") or i7-4770 CPUs, and the latest graphics driver is installed (see attached image "Driver.jpg"). The attached screendump "Amp.jpg" image shows the current settings and the warning.

Is there anything that I'm missing?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

The message hinted that you need to run VTune Amplifier XE as administrator, or run VS IDE  (with VTune integrated)as administrator? 

0 Kudos
PCox
Beginner

Hi Peter,

Thanks for replying. Sadly, visual studio is indeed running as administrator, but still the issue remains.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

I saw your driver is 3.16.2015 - not sure if this is the problem from VTune Amplifier. I have reported this to developer, and will get back to you soon.

Would you please try this on command line? I like to collect more from outputs. Thank you,

Open cmd as admin, then run VTune Amplifier XE\amplxe-vars.bat,

amplxe-cl -c advanced-hotspots -knob collection-detail=stack-sampling -knob enable-gpu-usage=true -knob gpu-counters-mode=global-local-access -- program

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Developer's comment was "please check  if it is the only one graphics card on the machine." - please verify.

0 Kudos
Q__L
Beginner

Hi Peter,

I have the same problem as Philip mentioned. Thanks for looking at the problem.

I tried to run amplxe-vars.bat from a command line (as a administrator) and a message is displayed:

"Copyright (C) 2009-2015 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
Intel(R) VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2015 (build 410668)
amplxe: Error: Processor Graphics analysis is only available on systems with Intel HD graphics and Intel Graphics Driver installed."

This message is same as Philip reported.

Apart from the Intel HD Graphics 4600 I have a NVidia GeForce 760.

When I set "Analyze Processor Graphics hardware events" to none, I noticed the following from the analysis report window:

On Graphics tab: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 is in the Compute Queue on the left panel;
    On Summary tab: Under the Collection and Platform Info section, GPU subsection shows my NVidia GeForce card info.

Should both sections use the same GPU which is Intel's one?

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

@ Lena Q

Thank you. I will verify with developer, maybe additional card (not supported) confused VTune Amplifier.

@Philip C

Do you also have additional graphics card? 

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Lena,

It looks like NVidia is your primary graphics card. To make VTune working you'll need to make HD Graphics primary.

Besides we'll consider supporting multiple cards support in VTune.

0 Kudos