Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

Advisor error messages with annotations

Jones__Brian
New Contributor I

I ran Advisor on the C code shown below (two versions shown) with annotations. Yet the Map (Memory Access Patterns) report returns the following error messages:

MAP: no SITE annotations were encountered

advixe: Warning: No site annotations were executed, so no Dependencies issues (problems and messages) can be found.

The Suitability report shows the following error message:

advixe: Warning: In location 0xb05 - Double_Round.c:54: A TASK_END occurred following a SITE_BEGIN. Suitability data may be unreliable.

I suspect the placement of my annotations is not correct. The following C code shows the two ways I placed the annotations.

None of the pages I read on the Intel Advisor website shows a full program (e.g. https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/advisor-user-guide/top/suitability-analysis/annotations/annotation-types/site-and-task-annotations-for-simple-loops-with-one-task.html); the code samples below look like the examples I saw, but there's still something wrong.

int64_t * Double_Round(double *n, double *input_lengths, char * file_name)
{
ANNOTATE_SITE_BEGIN(Double_Round);

// VARIABLE DEFINITIONS HERE

ANNOTATE_TASK_BEGIN(for_taskA);
	for( collect_ctr = 0; collect_ctr < in_len; collect_ctr++ )
	{

// BODY OF CODE HERE

ANNOTATE_TASK_END(); 
	}

ANNOTATE_SITE_END();

{

ANNOTATE_TASK_BEGIN(for_taskA);
	{
		// BODY OF CODE HERE

ANNOTATE_TASK_END(); 
	}

ANNOTATE_SITE_END();

This code is a shared object called from a wrapper written in C. I ran this on a Xeon under Ubuntu 18.04.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SergeyK
Employee

Hi,

To collect MAP collection with source annotations you need:

{

{
        ANNOTATE_ITERATION_TASK(Double_round_task);
        // BODY OF CODE HERE
    }
    ANNOTATE_SITE_END();
}

You can also select loops for analysis using --mark-up-list option from CLI (Loop Markup ) or select loops using checkbox in Survey grid in GUI. For approaches mentioned above you don't need to modify source code.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
SergeyK
Employee

Hi,

To collect MAP collection with source annotations you need:

{

{
        ANNOTATE_ITERATION_TASK(Double_round_task);
        // BODY OF CODE HERE
    }
    ANNOTATE_SITE_END();
}

You can also select loops for analysis using --mark-up-list option from CLI (Loop Markup ) or select loops using checkbox in Survey grid in GUI. For approaches mentioned above you don't need to modify source code.

Jones__Brian
New Contributor I

I inserted annotations in the attached C program following the reply above by SergeyK, but I still get "Warning: No SITE annotations were encountered."

For example:

advixe-cl --collect=map --enable-cache-simulation --project-dir=/usr/test/Complex_If/081020 ./C_Wrapper_for_C_64_Complex_If.exe

Here is the report output:

dlopen success: handle 0x141e8d0
Calling the shared object
advixe: Warning: No SITE annotations were encountered, so no stride/alignment data can be reported.
advixe: Warning: The application returned a non-zero exit value.
advixe: Loading result... 25 % done

The full source code is in the .txt file I have attached. 

Thanks for your help. 

0 Kudos
SergeyK
Employee

Hi,

I see message "advixe: Warning: The application returned a non-zero exit value.". This message is shown when application finished with errors. Could you please check that application is not crashed without analysis?

Regarding annotations - if you want to analyze outer loop (for (i = 0; i < in_len; i++)), please put ANNOTATE_ITERATION_TASK under the loop statement, like this:

ANNOTATE_SITE_BEGIN(Complex_If);
for (i = 0; i < in_len; i++)
{
    ANNOTATE_ITERATION_TASK(Complex_If_task);
    data_num = data[i];
}

ANNOTATE_ITERATION_TASK should be the first operation the loop do on each iteration.

0 Kudos
Jones__Brian
New Contributor I

I have again attached the source code, altered as you show on your reply above, but I still get "advixe: Warning: No SITE annotations were encountered, so no stride/alignment data can be reported."

You asked about the non-zero return value.  This is a shared object called from a wrapper (also written in C).  Previously it returned a pointer to an array, but I have changed that so it now returns a zero value, so that message is gone.  For your other question, the code does run completely to the end with or without Advisor. 

The command string is:  advixe-cl --collect=map --enable-cache-simulation --project-dir=/usr/test/Complex_If/081120 ./C_Wrapper_for_C_64-Complex_If.exe. 

I have re-read the pages I found on the Intel site re annotations, but it looks correct, and it now matches what you show in your reply above. 

Would the fact that the annotations are in a shared object be an issue here?

Thanks for your help. 

0 Kudos