Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Aggregating hot spots

mps12345
Beginner

When I run a VTune sampling session, it starts by giving me a page with the most used functions in the system as a whole. However, when I drill down, the hotspot button is always grayed out until I drill down to a single thread, which doesn't give me enough data. Is there some way for me to get the hotspots for a module over all of its threads?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Vladimir_T_Intel

Try to select Module View (or Process View, then Module View). From there you can easily drill down to the Hotspots.

And please, attach a screen shot(s). It's hard to understand what was the problem.

0 Kudos
mps12345
Beginner

Hi Vladimir,

OK, let me know if this makes sense. In this screenshot, I would like to get the hotspots for process 3064.

Image1

Unfortunately, the hotspot button is grayed out, so I can't get the hotspots. So I double-clicked on the process to get its list of threads.

image2

Unfortunately, the hotspot button is still greyed out. However, if I double click on a particular thread, the hotspot button is no longer grayed out

Image3

and then I can find the hotspots for that particular thread (not shown, but it works).

However, that only gets me the hotspots for one thread in the process. How can I get the hotspots for the entire process (or a set of processes)?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

If I understood your question correctly - please do

1) In Processes Report (Display all processes first), select "multiple" target processes (same name), then click"Display Module for Selected Items" button

2) In Modules Report, select "multiple" targetmodules (same name), then click "Display Hotspots for Selected Items" button.

3) So hot functions are displayed in the report - the data is aggregated!

Regards, Peter

0 Kudos
Vladimir_T_Intel
Quoting mps12345

OK, let me know if this makes sense. In this screenshot, I would like to get the hotspots for process 3064.

Unfortunately, the hotspot button is grayed out, so I can't get the hotspots. So I double-clicked on the process to get its list of threads.

Hi Mike,

I think the easiest way would be to select the process 3064 in the Process tab, and then push the Module view button. In the opened Module tab, select the 7z.dll and push the Hotspots button (which should be enabled there). That's it. In the Hotspots view you'll get the results aggrigated for all threads in the process.

0 Kudos