Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Article/Paper/Documentation about Inspector/Static Secutiry Analysis tool

Simone_A_
Beginner
Hi, I am new in using Intel Inspector XE for dynamic analysis and the Intel compiler in static analysis mode (formerly SSA I guess). I would like to understand how they work, so I was wondering if there is some documentation, paper publication or everything that explain the techniques used by these tools to perform their analysis. Thanks. Best Regards, Simone
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

First at all, you have to use trial/commercial license of Intel Parallel Studio product. The reason is that Static Security Analysis feature will use Intel C++ compiler & Intel Inspector XE.

1. When you try to build your source by using compiler, to generate SSA result - please refer this article

2. When you try to display error report by using inspector - please refer this article. You also can find more from Inspector XE's help, for example - searching words "static analysis workflow"

0 Kudos
Simone_A_
Beginner
Hi, yes I am using the commercial license of Intel Parallel Studio product. I got your articles they were really useful. But I still have some doubt. For example, what is the level of support of OpenMP within Inspector? Does it make a binary instrumentation of the code or it does an instrumentation at source code level? What if I compile the OpenMP program with a compiler different from Intel Compiler? Is Inspector able to analyze it? Thanks. Best Regards, Simone Atzeni
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

> what is the level of support of OpenMP within Inspector? Does it make a binary instrumentation of the code or it does an instrumentation at source code level?

Source code level, it should be.

>What if I compile the OpenMP program with a compiler different from Intel Compiler? Is Inspector able to analyze it?

No. Other compiler doesn't support SSA, or say it will not generate Inspector XE result.

0 Kudos
Holly_W_Intel
Employee

To clarify, you can compile with any compiler and use the dynamic analysis portions of Inspector (memory and thread analysis). You must compile with the Intel compiler to perform static analysis.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Thank you Holly. Dynamic analysis from Inspector doesn't depends on compiler version, note that you have to build binary with debugging info. 

0 Kudos