Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4994 Discussions

Callgraph activity - with RDC

Yuval_Berger
Beginner

Hi,
We are currently working with the VTune 9.1 (for linux) and so far we created both call graph and sampling activities and are able to use RDC (remote data collector) running on our machine.

<-->

What I would like to do is to run my application (for example) for X hours and get some callgraph results for a few relavant periods in the test (each period in 5 minute sampling).

However, when using the vtune for this purpose, the call-graph activity requires (by definition) to launch an application.

This means that I will not be able to get a few call-graph in a single test without invoking the sampled application over and over again.

I tried to use the "pause" botton when running the activity - (which doesn't work flawlessly - sometimes the vtserver doesn't get the pause request from the client).

Anyways, the pause might provide with the ability to sample only the relevant parts of the test, but will result with a single "call graph result" instead of getting a result per each relevant part of the test.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks,

Yuval Berger.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - Yuval Berger

Hi,
We are currently working with the VTune 9.1 (for linux) and so far we created both call graph and sampling activities and are able to use RDC (remote data collector) running on our machine.

<-->

What I would like to do is to run my application (for example) for X hours and get some callgraph results for a few relavant periods in the test (each period in 5 minute sampling).

However, when using the vtune for this purpose, the call-graph activity requires (by definition) to launch an application.

This means that I will not be able to get a few call-graph in a single test without invoking the sampled application over and over again.

I tried to use the "pause" botton when running the activity - (which doesn't work flawlessly - sometimes the vtserver doesn't get the pause request from the client).

Anyways, the pause might provide with the ability to sample only the relevant parts of the test, but will result with a single "call graph result" instead of getting a result per each relevant part of the test.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks,

Yuval Berger.

If you need to do Pause/Resume actions on remote Linux agent from the host, probably it will have delays on message communications between the host and the target. I suggest to use VTune APIs in your code instead of clicking buttons on GUI, refer to http://cache-www.intel.com/cd/00/00/21/93/219345_sampling_vtune.pdf from page 8.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos