Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4994 Discussions

Can't profile x64/x86 application on win7 x64

timli2
Beginner
I'm trying to profile a x64/x86 app on win7 x64 using the call graph profilier(VTune 9.1_07). Every time I try to launch my app(i.e., run the activity), I always meet with the following errors:

"Call Graph: The Activity failed to stop call graph collector, because there are no valid exe controllers associated with the collector."

"Faile to Run Activity:Unable to run the activity because an appropriate EXE controller could not be created. This is probably either because a specified remote system could not be found because a specified remote system is no properly configured."

Any idea? Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
To my knowledge, call graph is documented as unsupported on win7 for released versions of VTune.
0 Kudos
Thomas_W_Intel
Employee
As an alternative to call-graph, you can use the statistical call-graph in the Intel Performance Tuning Utility or Intel Parallel Amplifier.
0 Kudos
timli2
Beginner
Thanks, I'll try that. But when will the call graph be supported on win7?
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Note: PTU currently does NOT support Windows* 7, either.

Only Parallel Amplfiier supports Windows 7 and gives you most of the same information as call graph with much reduced overhead. Call graph can be counted on to slow you code execution by 10x, while the overhead of Parallel Amplifier's stack sampling is around %5!

Also, see our announcement on this forum.
0 Kudos
timli2
Beginner
Yes, I have tried Parallel Amplifier. It's really cool.But doesit support VS 2010? Thanks.
0 Kudos