Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

Cannot install VTune on Ubuntu 10.04(Lucid) x86_64

Jianshi_Huang
Beginner
After entering the serial, comes the following error message.
---------------------
Please type a selection or Serial Number: xxxx-xxxxxxxx
The Intel Software Setup Assistant may attempt to connect to the
Intel Software Development Products Registration Center to validate your Serial Number.
This may take several minutes depending on your network. Please wait...
You may press Ctrl+C to cancel.
secore.new: relocation error: /usr/lib32/libnss_mdns4_minimal.so.2: symbol strlen, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
---------------------

What's the problem andanyway to fix that?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jianshi_Huang
Beginner
Update:
However, strlen@@GLIBC_2.0 is actually defined. See below:
$ ldd /usr/lib32/libnss_mdns4_minimal.so.2
linux-gate.so.1 => (0xf7740000)
libc.so.6 => /lib32/libc.so.6 (0xf75a1000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf7741000)
$ readelf -s /lib32/libc.so.6 |grep strlen
805: 00074400 52 IFUNC GLOBAL DEFAULT 12 strlen@@GLIBC_2.0
935: 00079650 23 FUNC GLOBAL DEFAULT 12 __strlen_g@@GLIBC_2.1.1
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Latest product v9.1 U8 supports Ubuntu* 9.10, v10.04 hasn't been tested!!!

Also please ensure that you can access Intel Product Register Center via network, when use serial number to install the product. You may copy license file to Linux side for installing the product. License file should be sent to you with serial number in email - if you missed the file, go Register Center to send again by yourself.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
Vilya_Harvey
Beginner
I had the same problem, also on Ubuntu 10.04 and x86_64 (although it was being reported in libresolv for me instead), but was able to install successfully by giving the path to a local license file. Looks like more testing is needed on 10.04, but at least there's a workaround.
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting Vilya Harvey
I had the same problem, also on Ubuntu 10.04 and x86_64 (although it was being reported in libresolv for me instead), but was able to install successfully by giving the path to a local license file. Looks like more testing is needed on 10.04, but at least there's a workaround.

I am glad to see of using local license file to solve the installation problem:-)
However using the toolin unsupported OS, still is a risk.

0 Kudos
Jianshi_Huang
Beginner
I successfully installed VTune by license file. Thanks for the workaround.
The warning of unsupported OS version is only shown after the license was provided. Wouldn't it be better to let show on the first page?
BTW, stating a GNU-Linux system is not supported because of OS version isn't very convincing. It would be better if you can show a list of dependencies so we programmers can figure it out.
I hope it's just a installation glitch, finger crossed. :)
Jianshi
0 Kudos
christian_convey
Beginner
Quoting huangjs
BTW, stating a GNU-Linux system is not supported because of OS version isn't very convincing. It would be better if you can show a list of dependencies so we programmers can figure it out.
I hope it's just a installation glitch, finger crossed. :)
Jianshi

Yes, but it would be far better iof Intel had near-same-day in VTune support for each new Ubuntu release.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
It's an inconvenient fact that it's impossible to foresee "features" of distros which aren't available at the time a product is developed, and that several months of testing go into full support. Ubuntu is one of the most oddball distros for which it has been possible to offer full support, at cost of considerable additional effort. It's a very nice distro, but there is a reason why most others adhere to standards such as LSB.
License recognition by serial number may fail for a number of reasons, including web connectivity and temporary web site outages, so it's perhaps unfortunate if marketing requirements make the backup method difficult to discover.
0 Kudos