Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Cannot open the external text editor for this file.

sun_s_
Beginner

Hi all~

I use vtune to find out the hotspot of the program, but when I try to edit the code through double-click the hotspot code line it says that"

cannot open the external text editor for this file.Suggestion:make sure the text editor is set in the EDITOR or VISUAL enviroment variable

and supports a filename as an argument.”

Then I tried to write “export EDITOR=gedit” into the file ~/.bashrc.  But it still failed.

Does anybody know how to address this issue?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi sun:

Prior to starting amplxe-gui, execute "echo $EDITOR", what is the output?

If it is gedit and it doesn't work, try changing it to vi and see if that even works.

0 Kudos
sun_s_
Beginner

MrAnderson (Intel) wrote:

Hi sun:

Prior to starting amplxe-gui, execute "echo $EDITOR", what is the output?

If it is gedit and it doesn't work, try changing it to vi and see if that even works.

MrAnderson, Thanks for your reply.

Prior to starting amplxe-gui, the output of the command"echo $EDITOR" is “ gedit”.

However, when I try to edit the soure through double-clicking the code line, Vtune has no response to it instead of showing a warning.

Then I changed the enviroment $EDITOR=vi and started the vtune again, but it still had no response to it. 

Do you know what is happening there?

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

In the same console window were you set the EDITOR variable, what happens when you attempt to execute the 'gedit' command?  If it works in the shell and then you invoke VTune Amplifier XE and attempt to double-click on the source, it should work as well, since VTune Amplifier XE inherits the shell environment.

0 Kudos
sun_s_
Beginner

MrAnderson (Intel) wrote:

In the same console window were you set the EDITOR variable, what happens when you attempt to execute the 'gedit' command?  If it works in the shell and then you invoke VTune Amplifier XE and attempt to double-click on the source, it should work as well, since VTune Amplifier XE inherits the shell environment.

Thank you very much!

Problem has been solved!

0 Kudos
zhang__chuan
Beginner

hello,I have encountered the same problem as you , but I have not solve it. I have other question about use vtune. Can you leave your WeChat or QQ ? I have to use vtune in my current research direction ,I hope to your help. happy new year!                         

0 Kudos
zhang__chuan
Beginner

Hello, when l use vtune to analyze python programs, I show Binaryfile of the analysis target does not contain symbols required forprofiling. In addition, there are /usr/sbin/ldconfiginit_int() instrumentation failed. Profiling data may be   missing. Leave your WeChat or QQ? Ihope to get your help.

0 Kudos