Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Cannot run Power Analysis using VTune 2013!

kang_z_Intel
Employee

I installed VTune Amplifier 2013, and wish to run the power analysis.

After building project and new analysis, the item of power analysis showed the following error:

$isPowerAnalysisAvailable == PlatformError: cannot compare boolean values with arguments other then 'true' or 'false'

And the buttom of "Start" cannot be used...

Could you tell me how to deal with it? Thanks!!

btw, the drivers for power analysis have been built again following the steps of /opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe/powerdk/src/README.txt.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Ensure that you work on latest Update 5, and Linux* kernel version should be greater than 2.6.32

Assume that you already built/installed power driver, use "lsmod | grep apwr" to check.

Then, use

# amplxe-cl -collect frequency -- program

# amplxe-cl -report frequency-analysis ./r00?frequency

Or you can use amplxe-gui to open result.

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Also, check out this article!

0 Kudos
kang_z_Intel
Employee

Thanks! I checked my kernel version at /proc/version, it is Linux version 3.2.0-29-generic. Although it is higher than 2.6.32, I think it may be OK.

And, I checked the items shown in http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/troubleshooting-vtunetm-amplifier-xes-power-analysis

there is only one problem: when running 'lsmod | grep cpufreq', there is nothing shown....

but other items are all OK, for example, CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=y.

And then, I tried to run a power analysis, but VTune stilll cannot work,

It shows "Collection failed. Cannot start collection of power events" ERROR. :(

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Maybe Linux kernel 3.2 is too higher to support cpufreq driver, try kernel v3.1?

0 Kudos