Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Cannot see actual Fortran subroutine names when checking performance of optimized code

Ioannis_K_
New Contributor I

Hello,

I have a large program in Fortran, which does not exhibit the level of speed that I wished to have, despite using the optimization options to maximize speed in the Intel compiler. 

I am trying to use VTune Amplifier to detect specific regions in specific routines which are responsible for performance bottlenecks. The report produced by Vtune Amplifier does not list the actual names of the subroutines that I have written. I think this has to do with using a Release configuration-build for my program. Is there a way to build a release configuration, using optimization, and still be able to see the actual subroutine names in the Vtune Amplifier reports?

I do not want to benchmark a debug configuration-build for my program, as this will not indicate which parts of my code I may need to manually modify/optimize.

Thank you,

Yannis

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Denis_M_Intel
Employee

Can you check that '-g' (Linux) or '/Zi' (Windows) compiler options are used in your release build configuration? Related VTune Help topics: https://software.intel.com/en-us/vtune-amplifier-help-debug-info-for-linux-binaries, https://software.intel.com/en-us/vtune-amplifier-help-debug-information-for-windows-application-binaries

0 Kudos
Ioannis_K_
New Contributor I

Can you please explain to me how I can activate the specific compiler options for the FORTRAN COMPILER IN WINDOWS? I have not found any such option (and all pertinent resources are focused on the C++ compiler).

0 Kudos
Denis_M_Intel
Employee

/Zi and /DEBUG:FULL compiler and linker options enable debug info for Intel Fortran compiler.

0 Kudos
Ioannis_K_
New Contributor I

Thank you for your reply. I had already tried using the "DEBUG:FULL" options. Nothing has changed, I still see names such as "func@0x14010296c" instead of the actual subroutine/function names in my code...

0 Kudos
Denis_M_Intel
Employee

And what about /Zi ? What compiler is used?
Are there any warning messages about symbol file or your binary file in VTune finalization output?  Can you run VTune analysis on a simple 'hello world' application and attach result directory + binary file + .pdb file if this issue is reproducible on it?

0 Kudos