Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Context Switches which obtained by VTune is much fewer than the true Context Switches

LIU_Q_
Beginner

I used Hardware Event-based Sampling Analysis 0 Analysis or Advanced Hotspots Analysis to collect the total Context Switches of a program, but the number of Context Switches that I got was much fewer than the truth. I don't know the reason.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Please explain why you think it was "fewer than the truth."

You will only see context switches for the application that VTune Amplifier XE launched.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

@LIU Q

Can you explain what is the expected number of context switches.

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Just for everyone's info, the private messaging system is not working.  I received an email notification that a message was available, but I can't read it on IDZ and I can't send a private message.  IDZ support has been notified.

WRT to this post, LIU Q, what method did you or others use to measure the context switches that you think disagrees with VTune Amplifier XE?

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

@LIU Q.:

I can't respond via PM.  Please just post here.

Are you comparing context switches counted by VTune Amplifier XE to another tool or are you saying the number of context switches in the Top Down view don't match the Bottom Up view?

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

I was notified by @LIU Q that "true" number of context switches is 187775. Seems very strange.

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Yes, but where did that "true" number come from?  And, why does s/he think it is "true"?

That is, what tool measured it and how does that tool measure context switches?

BTW, are you talking about Windows* or Linux* in this case?

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

@MrAnderson

I do not know which tool was used to get those numbers. It is also unclear which OS is used for that test.

Unfortunately @LIU Q did not respond to my private message where I asked him those questions.

0 Kudos