Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Counter Monitor collector

isn-removed924
Beginner
Hi,
I'm new to VTune using beta 7.1, but this is a generic VTune question; mightsound trivial... Any help is appreciated.
I was hoping to be able to monitor some hardware performance counters (e.g. cache misses, branches, ...) for a particular application and its threads through Counter Monitor collector (rather than sampling). Somonitoring some hardware countersby setting the monitoringtrigger based on thread switch to some particular threads of a process.
This doesn't seem possible. Even it seemsCounter Monitor exposes only system levelperformance counters/objects not any direct hardware counter. And also its triggering is time-based only (unless a Performnace DLL is injected to VTune).
Seems using Sampling collector is my only choice (not preferred because of its sampling nature and lower accuracy). Any idea if I canuse Counter Monitor or any other approach?
Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Reply
bnshah
Beginner
Currently the only way tosample the performance counters is to write your own PerformanceDLL SDK. However you still will not be able totrigger on task switch since we dont have any hooks for that
0 Kudos