Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Cumulative Function + Children Counter Values?

floopydrive7901
Beginner
Hi Everyone

How do I measure counter values for functions together with its children? For example

A calls X and Y
B calls X and Z

How do i get cumulative counter results for calls of A (including X and Y results) and calls of B. Generating reports at the granularity of functions and modules do not seem to give information including children values. Those values seem to be listed under the children seperately. Hence library code gets difficult to account for correctly.

Thank you for your suggestions in advance.

best wishes
Manish

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Hi Manish,

If you review Bottom-up report: CPU time of Function A indicates itself time, all items (callers) in Call Stack also indicatesCPU time of Function A. There is no indicator for CPU time of Function A and its children together.

Please use Top-down tree report: all functions and their children (in Call Stack) with CPU time will be displayedunder one node. See below example, you can select items to know "Total" on last row.

Regards, Peter

0 Kudos
floopydrive7901
Beginner
Thanks Peter. This is helpful. Can I do this analysis for performance counter values? Say I wish to find out total branch mispredictions for my function and also for each of its children? Lastly how can I do that from the command line?

thank you
Manish
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
No. Unfortunately there is no Top-down tree report for Hardware PMU event-based data collection.
0 Kudos