Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

Difference between INST_RETIRED.ANY_P and INST_RETIRED.ANY

irisshinra308
Beginner
Hello~
I am a new user of vtune and I have a question.
What's the difference between INST_RETIRED.ANY_P and INST_RETIRED.ANY
I have scanned through the document about this in vtune.
However, I still have no idea about it.

Any help would be grateful

Thanks for reading

Dennis
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Vladimir_T_Intel

Hello Dennis,

The difference is in the counters, which count the event.
INST_RETIRED.ANY_P is counted by one of two programmable counters. INST_RETIRED.ANY is counted by a designated fixed counter, leaving the two programmable counters available for other events.

0 Kudos
irisshinra308
Beginner
Thanks for replying~

According to your reply, the value of INST_RETIRED.ANY_P and INST_RETIRED.ANY is exactly the same.
Am I right?

By the way, do the INST_RETIRED.ANY_P shows the instructions retired from all cores and the UNHALTED_CORE_CYCLE shows the cycles summantion of all cores?

Does INST_RETIRED.ANY_P/ UNHALTED_CORE_CYCLE show the average IPC of a core or the IPC of the whole processor?

Sorry for asking so many question~

Dennis
0 Kudos
Vladimir_T_Intel
Quoting - irisshinra308 According to your reply, the value of INST_RETIRED.ANY_P and INST_RETIRED.ANY is exactly the same. Am I right?

Yes, youre right.

Quoting - irisshinra308 By the way, do the INST_RETIRED.ANY_P shows the instructions retired from all cores and the UNHALTED_CORE_CYCLE shows the cycles summantion of all cores?

Right name for the event is CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.CORE

By default the result is summarized by all cores. If you push the CPU button in the Module, Process or Hotspot view, you get the per-core results.

Quoting - irisshinra308 Does INST_RETIRED.ANY_P/ UNHALTED_CORE_CYCLE show the average IPC of a core or the IPC of the whole processor?

INST_RETIRED.ANY_P / CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.CORE ratio provides IPC regarding particular process/module (depending on granularity) for entire processor.

0 Kudos