Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4992 Discussions

ERROR: memutil::mut_alloc: during call graph analysis

ericbracken
Beginner
I run a call graph analysis on my multithreaded, 64-bit application on Vista Pro SP2 using VTune 9.1 (build 406) integrated with Visual Studio 2005. The activity runs for quite a while, but it completes successfully. It spins for a few minutes more, and then I get the following errors:

Tue May 25 09:37:17 2010 Data collection finished...
Tue May 25 09:39:58 2010 Updating Call graph database...
Tue May 25 09:40:47 2010 Done.
Tue May 25 09:41:54 2010 ERROR: memutil::mut_init: Can't continue. Out of memory.
Tue May 25 09:41:54 2010 ERROR: memutil::mut_init: Can't continue. Out of memory.
Tue May 25 09:41:55 2010 ERROR: memutil::mut_alloc: Can't continue. Out of memory.
Tue May 25 09:41:55 2010 ERROR: memutil::mut_alloc: Can't continue. Out of memory.

No useful results are displayed. Any idea what could be wrong?

Running a simple sampling analysis works properly with this application.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

I suppose that this problem was due to out of system's resource.

You may try one of below options:
1. Close other active applications in the system, and retry.
2. Modify Call graph's activity,a) set instrumentation level of non-interest-of-modules as "Minimal", to reduce data collecting on these modules. b) unselect some functionsof interest-of-modules, these functionswere from run-time library (without corresponding source).

Hope it helps.

Regards, Peter

0 Kudos
ericbracken
Beginner
Thanks, Peter. I reduced the instrumentation level to "minimal" for everything except my application and 2 or 3 DLL's of interest. It still fails with the same message.

This is strange to me, because the machine I'm using has 8 GB of RAM, and the files generated during the call graph analysis are relatively small (about 64 MB). If I attempt to open the call graph results in the standalone VTune user interface, then the memory usage of vtuneenv.exe grows to about 478 MB before it issues the memutil errors. I still have plenty of free memory available.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Is it LargeAddressAware(LAA) related issue?

Try below steps:
1. Open Microsoft* Visual Studio* command prompt.
2.cd \shared\Bin
3. editbin /largeaddressaware vtuneenv.exe
4. dumpbin /headers vtuneenv.exe; Check that LAA bit is set ("Application can handle large (>2GB) addresses" line in output):
5. Try call graph again.

You may try other option - build the application with Release Mode, with compiler switch "/Zi", linker options "/DEBUG", "/Fixed:no".

Verify if the problem was from MS Dlls - see http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/application-crashes-when-attempting-call-graph-profiling/

If the problem persists on, please reply as "Mark this post Private?" (YES) with test case, -OR-
Submit a ticket to https://premier.intel.com

Regards, Peter

0 Kudos