Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4993 Discussions

Effective time in VTune increases with OMP_NUM_THREADS

Sharma__Ashesh
Beginner

Hello,

I am new to VTune and have been trying to interpret the times reported in VTune. I have a Fortran application I have been playing with to understand the effect of openmp threading on the performance of the application. I have been using VTune to identify the hotspots. To perform collection for VTune, I use the very basic commands for openmp hotspot analysis -  amplxe-cl -collect hotspots -knob analyze-openmp=true <target application>

I have been seeing some strange behavior ( or probably normal behavior that appears strange only to me due to my lack of experience with VTune). With OMP_NUM_THREADS=1, I get an effective time lower than that obtained for when OMP_NUM_THREADS=4. I have attached a couple of images for reference. There is a huge spin and overhead time associated with OMP_NUM_THREADS=4. However my understanding is that the effective time does not take into account the spin or overhead times. So I fail to understand why is the effective time so much higher for OMP_NUM_THREADS=4. Any insight into this behavior would be extremely helpful for me to better understand how to interpret the times reported in VTune. 

Please note, when running the application without VTune, and using the time command in Linux, the reported wall time for OMP_NUM_THREADS=1 matches for when the application is run using VTune. However this isn't the case for OMP_NUM_THREADS where VTune reports a higher effective time than the wall time reported by Linux.

Thank you,
Ashesh Sharma

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello,

We need more information to explore on the case.

If you have  -knob analyze-openmp=true then Summary pane should contain a section for OpenMP analysis for the case with OMP_NUM_THREADS=4. Could you please make screenshot of the section?

Also - what is the number of physical cores on the system? Do you run the application exclusively? What is the semantics of OpenMP usage in your application?

If you can attach the result directory for the case of OMP_NUM_THREADS=4 it will also be additionally helpful to look at.

Thank you, Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos
Vitaly_S_Intel
Employee

I'd also recommend to make the following experiment - check elapsed time with OpenMP analysis turned off:

> amplxe-cl -collect hotspots -knob analyze-openmp=false <target application>

0 Kudos
Sharma__Ashesh
Beginner

Hello Dimitry and Vitaly, 

I am attaching a screenshot for the section for OpenMP analysis for OMP_NUM_THREADS=4.

There are 16 physical cores on the node. Please see the description of compute nodes in the following link - https://www.nrel.gov/hpc/peregrine-system.html

Since I am running this case on an HPC system, I am sure I am running the application exclusively. 

The only usage of openmp is for parallelizing loops in exactly 1 subroutine. I am attaching a snapshot of this too.

The result directory upon compression is unfortunately larger than 250MB. Hence I am unable to attach it. 

I further ran the analysis with -knob analyze-openmp=false, and the elapsed time remains unchanged.

Thank you,
Ashesh Sharma

0 Kudos
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

Hello,

Could you please run advanced-hotspot collection with stacks and see what it will show? In command line this should be like:

>amplxe-cl -c a-h -knob collection-detail=stack-sampling -data-limit=0 -knob analyze-openmp=true -r <result_dir> <my_app>

It has more precise measurement and will allow to look at context switches/thread migration if it matters.

Thanks & Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos