Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

Error: [Instrumentation Engine]: Function IMG_FindByUnloadAddress called without holding lock

high_end_c_
Beginner

Hi

I have been profiling the same FORTRAN OpenMP code on 4 threads on a node comprising 2x 6-core Westmere, under the SGE batch system where I have reserved all 12 cores exclusively for my use.

Out of my 20 runs, I have one that failed with the following to standard error:

amplxe: Collection started. To stop the collection, either press CTRL-C or enter from another console window: amplxe-cl -r /mnt/iusers01/support/mccssmb2/ResearchIT/applications_support/Popelier/ferebus/vtune/various_tests/Schedule/r029hs -command stop.
amplxe: Error: [Instrumentation Engine]: Function IMG_FindByUnloadAddress called without holding lock. Call PIN_LockClient()/PIN_UnlockClient()
amplxe: Collection failed.
amplxe: Internal Error

I am running Amplifier XE version:

$ amplxe-cl --version
Intel(R) VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2015 (build 367959) Command Line Tool
Copyright (C) 2009-2014 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

The code was compiled with ifort version:

$ ifort --version
ifort (IFORT) 14.0.3 20140422
Copyright (C) 1985-2014 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

and the Linux version on the compute nodes is

$ uname -a && cat /etc/*release
Linux int00 2.6.32-358.18.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Aug 27 14:23:09 CDT 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Alces Core HPC Configuration package release 3.0
Scientific Linux release 6.2 (Carbon)

All help appreciated. Yours, M

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Was it possible that you used static linker option? VTune Amplifier XE needs to dynamic instrumenting binary, so the binary should be relocatable.  

0 Kudos
Dmitry_P_Intel1
Employee

BTW - with VTune Amplifier XE 2015 Update 1 you can try the new OpenMP efficiency analysis feature with Advanced Hotspots. The details can be found here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/529832. Advanced Hotspots are less intrusive and allows to sample with less sampling interval that can be useful if elapsed time of a parallel regions instance is short.

Regards, Dmitry

0 Kudos