Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Error: PMU resources are not available.

qually_j_
Beginner

Intel VTune Amplifier XE 2013

Windows 8 64 bits. VS 2010 & VS 2012. IvyBridge, i7, GT2.

when I try to run bandwidth - Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge analysis, I get this error:

Error: PMU resources are not available. Hardware Event-based Sampling is not supported on this operating system.

Then I checked driver status - here's what I got. In admin commandline of coz.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\VTune Amplifier XE 2013\bin32>amplxe-sepreg -c
Checking platform...
Platform is genuine Intel: OK
Platform has SSE2: OK
Platform architecture: INTEL64
User has admin rights: OK
Drivers will be installed to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\
Checking sepdrv3_10 driver path...OK
Checking sepdrv3_10 service...
Driver status: the sepdrv3_10 service is running
Checking sepdal driver path...OK
Checking sepdal service...
Driver status: the sepdal service is running

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\VTune Amplifier XE 2013\bin32>amplxe-sepreg -i -v

Stopping service sepdrv3_10...OK
Copying file C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\VTune Amplifier XE 2013\bin64\sepdrv\w
in7\sepdrv3_10.sys to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\sepdrv3_10.sys...OK
Installing service sepdrv3_10...OK
Warning: service sepdrv3_10 already exists
Starting service sepdrv3_10...OK
Writing startup key to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sepdrv3_10...OK
Stopping service sepdal...OK
Copying file C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\VTune Amplifier XE 2013\bin64\sepdrv\w
in7\sepdal.sys to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\sepdal.sys...OK
Installing service sepdal...OK
Warning: service sepdal already exists
Starting service sepdal...OK
Writing startup key to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sepdal...OK
VTSS++ driver found
Deleting system32/drivers/vtss.sys file...OK
Forming source path for vtss.sys...OK
Forming destination path for vtss.sys...OK
Copying file C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\VTune Amplifier XE 2013\bin32\.\..\bin64\sepdrv\vtss.sys to C:\Windows\system32\drivers\vtss.sys...OK
Installing and starting VTSS++ driver...FAILED

0 Kudos
40 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

It seemed that drivers were installed correctly except vtss++, but it doesn't matter.

Was it possible one of below reasons? You may verify:

1.You may install Windows* 8 on Virtual Machine, the tool cannot access PMU resource?

2.You may install other tool, which already uses PMU resource? 

If none of above, you can try:

a. Open a cmd with administrator privilege 

b. C:\temp>"\Program Files (x86)\intel\VTune Amplifier XE 2013\amplxe-vars.bat"

Copyright (C) 2009-2013 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
Intel(R) VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2013 (build 274450)

c. C:\temp>amplxe-cl -collect snb-bandwidth -duration 20

What happens?

0 Kudos
rohit_t_
Beginner

1 more possible reason is that you would have previously run vtune and its sampling session might be still going on in the background and when you again run vtune for new sampling session .

It will give this kind of error.

try killing the previous running session the rerun vtune

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

It is quite possible explanation for the error.The question is does VTune can run multiple sampling sessions?

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

iliyapolak wrote:

It is quite possible explanation for the error.The question is does VTune can run multiple sampling sessions?

Only one PMU event-based sampling can run at a time. If you invoke PMU event-based sampling for another session, the tool will report error. However if you invoke user-mode sampling for another session - it is allowed.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>Installing and starting VTSS++ driver...FAILED>>>

If this standard WDM driver then I/O manager is responsible for calling driver entry function.Not going too deep you can at least monitor registry calls with regmon during the VTune session and look for driver related queries.

0 Kudos
qually_j_
Beginner

Peter Wang (Intel) wrote:

Quote:

iliyapolakwrote:

Only one PMU event-based sampling can run at a time. If you invoke PMU event-based sampling for another session, the tool will report error. However if you invoke user-mode sampling for another session - it is allowed.

No other vtune session running, at least not I aware. How to confirm?

And it's running on physical machine, no VM.

here's result for amplxe-cl:

C:\Windows\system32>amplxe-cl -collect snb-bandwidth -duration 20
amplxe: Error: PMU resources are not available. Hardware Event-based Sampling is
not supported on this operating system.
amplxe: Internal Error

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>No other vtune session running, at least not I aware. How to confirm?>>>

You can look at task manager or process explorer(process explorer is a better option) and look for the instances of VTune process.I do not know how exactly VTune session can be recognized , but i suppose that at least some thread will be created solely for this and you can track such a thread with process explorer.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Hi Peter

what is the purpose of vtss.sys driver?

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

iliyapolak wrote:

Hi Peter

what is the purpose of vtss.sys driver?

that is the driver to capture call stack info when doing PMU event-based sampling collections.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Could this driver loading and initialization failure be responsible for the error?

Failure of this driver can also explain the error message.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Loading vtss++ driver failure should not impact on PMU event-based sampling (without stack info in result). Not sure if the user worked on old XE 2013 version which might not support new silicon or new OS. Strongly suggest to try latest XE 2013 Update 6.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Loading vtss++ driver failure should not impact on PMU event-based sampling (without stack info in result).

I agree with you.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Strongly suggest to try latest XE 2013 Update 6... I didn't know that a new update was released and it would be nice to have a sticky post on the forum to inform everybody about new updates. Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Sergey Kostrov wrote:

>>...Strongly suggest to try latest XE 2013 Update 6...

I didn't know that a new update was released and it would be nice to have a sticky post on the forum to inform everybody about new updates. Thanks in advance.

All product registered users will receive a notice in their email box, when VTune(TM) Amplifier XE 2013 new update is ready. Also the user can view/get new package from Intel Register Center Download -

https://registrationcenter.intel.com/RegCenter/Download.aspx?productid=1686, for Windows*

https://registrationcenter.intel.com/RegCenter/Download.aspx?productid=1682, for Linux*

0 Kudos
qually_j_
Beginner

I'm using XE 2013 Update 5, will try update 6... Thanks!

0 Kudos
gabest
Beginner

I have the same problem, Win8 x64, i7-4770, vtune update8.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Latest build is Update 8. vtss+ driver failure will not impact on using Event-base sampling collection - again.

I strongly suggest to submit this problem to Intel Premier support with system info - "amplxe-feedback.exe -create-bug-report logfile" can generate log file for investigating.

0 Kudos
gabest
Beginner

No idea how to do that, email says there will be a link below the vtune download, but there is not.

"On the download page, click the "Click here for technical support" link below the Download Now button to start your 30 days of free support."

Maybe someone on the dev team should try to run it on Windows 8 x64 on a new Haswell and see? I know it is hard to move from XP.

0 Kudos
gabest
Beginner

More weird stuff is happening here. 

cpuid(7) => 0x281, it does not look like a valid answer, AVX2/BMI1/BMI2 flags aren't set, but the related new instructions execute just fine.

Attached a picture of CPU-Z.

0 Kudos
gabest
Beginner

Alright, here is what I figured out.

If you are developing for Windows Phone, the SDK enables the built-in Hypervisor of Windows 8. It blocks something for vtune to work with hardware events and it is not up-to-date enough to set the right cpuid feature bits if you want to detect Haswell.

0 Kudos