Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Error encountered while parsing GraphML Document

Collins__Nathan
Beginner

I am able to trace my application and generate GraphML files, but unable to load the GraphML file into Flow Graph Analyzer 2019 1.1.17873

I am able to load the sample files.

Comparing the sample files and my own I can see that my own GraphML file does not contain a graph element, which I find suspicious. The graphml version attribute is version="2019.1.1.17871".

I am build TBB from source, using tag 2019_U3, and linking against tbb_preview

Any tips on how I can debug this further?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Collins__Nathan
Beginner

I originally had this in my root CMakeLists.txt:
add_definitions(-DTBB_PREVIEW_FLOW_GRAPH_TRACE)

Adding these too fixed it:

add_definitions(-DTBB_USE_THREADING_TOOLS)
add_definitions(-DTBB_PREVIEW_FLOW_GRAPH_FEATURES)
add_definitions(-DTBB_PREVIEW_ALGORITHM_TRACE)

Most important is TBB_USE_THREADING_TOOLS I think,

0 Kudos
Vasanth_T_Intel
Employee

Apologies for the delayed response, but it appears like your GraphML file didn't get generated correctly. Last week, Update 4 for release that has better support for easier data collection, so could you try the new update and see if things work out of the box?

Also, starting with Update2/3, you don't have to link with the tbb_preview library if you are trying to analyze your application. The only time you may want to link with the tbb_preview library is when you are using user events described in the User Guide.

0 Kudos
Vasanth_T_Intel
Employee

A glitch in the forum didn't show me your second response -  I'm glad you are able to collect data and interact with it.  I'll re-iterate what I stated in  my previous response with more details-  starting with Update 2, flow graph analyzer has started relying on the compile time flag -DTBB_USE_THREADING_TOOLS to enable the telemetry information from the runtime/compiled application. The -DTBB_PREVIEW_ALGORITHM_TRACE  flags is no longer needed as the instrumentation for all TBB algorithms have been enabled by default in the TBB runtime. The use of the -DTBB_PREVIEW_FLOW_GRAPH_TRACE however is still valid and can be used to:

• Enable the naming of nodes so you see meaningful names in Flow Graph Analyzer 
  • Enable user events that let the tool know which data item the node in the graph is operating on

0 Kudos