Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

Error:"Summary infomation can not be obtained" ,First use Wizard

wangysh
Beginner

I first to use Vtune tool, At first ,I use "Fisrt Use Wizard" Wizard to run gsexample sample,and I get the error:

"Summary infomation can not be obtained"

How to solve the question ,help me

Thanks !

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Ravi_V_Intel
Employee

Please consider using "Sampling Wizard" and see if you continue to experience the issue. Also, it is important to ensure that the program runs long enough for VTune to capture enough sampling data. Try bumping up the runtime of the application, if possible.

0 Kudos
Ravi_V_Intel
Employee

Here is some additional information which may be helpful.

When running gsexample2a without any parameters, this problem can be encountered on some configurations. But a parameter needs to be passed to it.

Command Line: /opt/intel/vtune/samples/gsexample/gsexample2a

Usage: /opt/intel/vtune/samples/gsexample/gsexample2a

So, please pass /opt/intel/vtune/samples/gsexample/datafile.txt file as a parameter (or locate the file in your installation) to obtain the summary view.

Typical output from it may look like:

Line: /opt/intel/vtune/samples/gsexample/gsexample2a /opt/intel/vtune/samples/gsexample/datafile.txt

Processing '/opt/intel/vtune/samples/gsexample/datafile.txt' at Thu Sep 13 13:11:54 2008

Done at Thu Sep 13 13:12:04 2008

* Elapsed time was 10 seconds

* CRC calculated: 0x5

* File character count: 10126

* File processed 94938 times

* Total characters counted: 960430528

* Average characters/sec: 9.6043e+07

* Average loop iterations/sec: 9493.80

So, please try to specify a parameter to gsexample2a (2b, 3c) utilities.

Also, when gsexample2a is started without a parameter, and summary information is not obtained - because the application exits quite fast, and no samples might be collected (and in some cases might be) - thus no data for summary information window.

0 Kudos
Knute
Beginner
I too am having the same dialog box appear after running through the tutorial. Here's my process:

- Launched vtlec
- Clicked '+' button
- Clicked "First Use Wizard'
- Set the follwing fields to the following values:

Application to launch: /opt/intel/vtune/samples/gsexample/gsexample2a
Application arguments: /opt/intel/vtune/samples/gsexample/datafile.txt
Working directory: /home/knutel/workspace

- Clicked Finished

This was the output from the gsexample program:

Command Line: /opt/intel/vtune/samples/gsexample/gsexample2a /opt/intel/vtune/samples/gsexample/datafile.txt

Processing '/opt/intel/vtune/samples/gsexample/datafile.txt' at Tue Jan 27 17:32:11 2009

Done at Tue Jan 27 17:32:21 2009

* Elapsed time was 10 seconds
* CRC calculated: 0x5
* File character count: 10126
* File processed 206990 times
* Total characters counted: 2093500416
* Average characters/sec: 2.0935e+08
* Average loop iterations/sec: 20699.00

Then the GUI works for a little while, then the Tuning Browser is updated with the following:

Sampling Activity
+--> (Date) Sampling Results
+--> Run 1
+--> CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.CORE

Then the dialog box pops up: "Summary infomation can not be obtained"

If I double-click on CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.CORE in the Tuning Browser, I get the same dialog box.

What gives?

More information:

Linux 2.6.27-7-server #1 SMP Fri Oct 24 07:20:47 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks in advance...

Knute

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
My first guess would be that no samples where collected. Thus, Ravi's suggestino of using the Sampling Wizard. The sampling wizard will open a different view than the Summary view and you will be able to see if any samples were collected. Actually, now that I think about, please review the messages in the Output window. If no samples where collected, you should see an indication of this in the Output window. Also, try using the Sampling Wizard and checking "No application to launch", this will remove that variable from the equation. ;-)

0 Kudos
satishdotbaatmanipal

I am running Vtunes on ubuntu 9.04.

Following the steps given in the startup guide, when i Run the gsexamople2a i get the error,

"Summary Information can not be obtained"

I tried runnig only sampling with out any application to launch, it genertated the summary with out errors.

Can any one help out with this error ?

Thanking you

Satish

0 Kudos
satishdotbaatmanipal

I am running Vtunes on ubuntu 9.04.

Following the steps given in the startup guide, when i Run the gsexamople2a i get the error,

"Summary Information can not be obtained"

I tried runnig only sampling with out any application to launch, it genertated the summary with out errors.

Can any one help out with this error ?

Thanking you

Satish

0 Kudos