Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4999 Discussions

Events and ratios for Xeon processors

mark_redekopp
Beginner
Hi

I'm running Vtune 9.1 rel 7 on Ubuntu 9.04 on a Xeon 5560 processor. My question is why I'm not seeing all the events and ratios I'm used to as possibilities in the Sampling Configuration dialog box. In the Event groups drop down I only see:

All events (which is nice because I can scrolll through them all)
Basic Performance
Branch Execution Performance

Then what I really miss is under Ratios I don't see the L2 miss rate, L1 miss rate, etc. I only see a very limited set.

Further when I pull up the HTML help, Intel XEON processors aren't even listed under the different Processor Events and Advice section.

Why don't I see the events and ratios that I'm used to seeing from before? Any thoughts?

Mark Redekopp
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Hi Mark,

Your using Xeon 5560belongs toIntel? Core i7 processor family.

"All events" is a good list that you can selectsome to configure event ratios - yes,I can't see L2 miss rate in "Ratios" list. However you canuse events MEM_LOAD_RETIRED.LLC_UNSHARED_HIT & MEM_LOAD_RETIRED.OTHER_CORE_L2_HIT_HITM,and calculate performance impacting -

For 2nd level misses: (((MEM_LOAD_RETIRED.LLC_UNSHARED_HIT*35) + (MEM_LOAD_RETIRED.OTHER_CORE_L2_HIT_HITM*74))/CPU_CLK_UNHALED.THREAD)*100
If percentage is significant (>20%), consider reducing misses. Note that you have to use events counter, don't use samples (different event might have different SAV)

I think thathttp://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-intel-vtune-performance-analyzer-to-optimize-software-for-the-intelr-coretm-i7-processor-family/will help you tofigure outmore event ratios.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos