Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Filtering by Column Name in the VTune report from command line

rohith_b_
Beginner

Error when getting the report form the command line by filtering by column name,

(1)Profile my application "amplxe-cl -collect hotspots -target-pid <myapp_pid> -r <resultFile> "

(2) When i want to view the report listing only specific columns using "amplxe-cl -R top-down -r <resultFile> --column=Module", i get the error

Unknown option: --column=Module

The report has 'Module' as one of the column. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Hi,

The columns should be hardware events or displayable columns in your report, please see this article to know how to use "-column" option. Also, report type top-down can be supported, for example - "amplxe-cl -R top-down -column="Clockticks,Instructions Retired" -group-by function -r r002ge" in my case (after running general-exploration analysis).

Note:

1) that option "-group-by"  is only for "function", "source-function" if you use "top-down" report.

2) If column has complex name, for example - event CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.THREAD, you should use "CPU_CLK_UNHALTED" only, no content allowed after suffix. Then, columns CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.THREAD & CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.REF_TSC will be displayed since they are matched as your inputs.

Regards, Peter

0 Kudos
rohith_b_
Beginner

Thank you, Peter.  It is really useful.

My overall goal is to get a report with these 4 columns only,

Function Stack Module CPU Time:Total CPU Time:Self

I am running hotpsots profile.  So, i was wondering if column option can take these 4 arguments, but it doesn't appear that way.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Yes. If you use basic-hotspots analysis, you can use:

# amplxe-cl -R top-down -column=Module,Function -r r???

Available values for '-column' option are:
Module
Function (Full)
Source File
Start Address

Last time, I talked about event-based sampling collection.

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

Furthermore, the tip is that you can try to know supported columns' name for any specific report type, by inputting no-existed column name, like this:

# amplxe-cl -R hotspots -column=abc -r r000hs; assume you did advanced hotspots analysis

You will observe that Module,Function also are supported. But other column name depends on above outputs.

For example, you can do "# amplxe-cl -R hotspots -column="CPU Time:Self,Module,Function", but you can't do -

amplxe-cl -R hw-events -column="CPU Time:Self,Module,Function"

Only can do -

# amplxe-cl -R hw-events -column="CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.THREAD:Self,Module,Function"

0 Kudos