Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Filtering by Column Name in the VTune report from command line

Error when getting the report form the command line by filtering by column name,

(1)Profile my application "amplxe-cl -collect hotspots -target-pid <myapp_pid> -r <resultFile> "

(2) When i want to view the report listing only specific columns using "amplxe-cl -R top-down -r <resultFile> --column=Module", i get the error

Unknown option: --column=Module

The report has 'Module' as one of the column. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Employee

Hi,

The columns should be hardware events or displayable columns in your report, please see this article to know how to use "-column" option. Also, report type top-down can be supported, for example - "amplxe-cl -R top-down -column="Clockticks,Instructions Retired" -group-by function -r r002ge" in my case (after running general-exploration analysis).

Note:

1) that option "-group-by"  is only for "function", "source-function" if you use "top-down" report.

2) If column has complex name, for example - event CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.THREAD, you should use "CPU_CLK_UNHALTED" only, no content allowed after suffix. Then, columns CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.THREAD & CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.REF_TSC will be displayed since they are matched as your inputs.

Regards, Peter

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you, Peter.  It is really useful.

My overall goal is to get a report with these 4 columns only,

Function Stack Module CPU Time:Total CPU Time:Self

I am running hotpsots profile.  So, i was wondering if column option can take these 4 arguments, but it doesn't appear that way.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Yes. If you use basic-hotspots analysis, you can use:

# amplxe-cl -R top-down -column=Module,Function -r r???

Available values for '-column' option are:
Module
Function (Full)
Source File
Start Address

Last time, I talked about event-based sampling collection.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

Furthermore, the tip is that you can try to know supported columns' name for any specific report type, by inputting no-existed column name, like this:

# amplxe-cl -R hotspots -column=abc -r r000hs; assume you did advanced hotspots analysis

You will observe that Module,Function also are supported. But other column name depends on above outputs.

For example, you can do "# amplxe-cl -R hotspots -column="CPU Time:Self,Module,Function", but you can't do -

amplxe-cl -R hw-events -column="CPU Time:Self,Module,Function"

Only can do -

# amplxe-cl -R hw-events -column="CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.THREAD:Self,Module,Function"

0 Kudos