Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Frame API gives no frame markers in VTune when attaching to process.

Ted_Morris
Beginner

If I launch my application from VTune I get the Frame markers in the VTune window. If I attach to the process I don't see any of the Frame / Domain markers. Is this intended? Is there something I can do to fix this?If this is by design you should mention it in the documentation somewhere so people don't spend time on implementation only to have it not work for their intended use.I'm using VTune Amplifier XE 2011(build 199758) Copyright 2009-2011 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.Thanks!Brian Hayes

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
This is a known limitation - the user should launch an application to do frame analysis, attach-to-process mode is not workable. I think that this is a new feature request.
0 Kudos
Ted_Morris
Beginner
This is a known limitation - the user should launch an application to do frame analysis, attach-to-process mode is not workable. I think that this is a new feature request.

Actually part of the point I was making was that it's NOT A KNOWN LIMITATION. Having that little tidbit in the documentation somewhere would of saved me a day's work.

Thanks!

Brian

0 Kudos
Hariprasad_B_
Beginner
I am facing same problem with vtune_amplifier_xe_2013 version also. Could you please let me know if this is still a limitation in VTune. If this is a limitation, why is it been included in documentation guide. Thanks
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Please see release notes in VTune(TM) Amplifier XE Update 2: Information collected via ITT API is not available when attaching to a process. (200172007) - When collecting statistics data using ITT API injected into a source code, like Frame Analysis or JIT-profiling, attaching to a process will not bring expected results. Use the VTune Amplifier XE analysis to start an application instead of attaching to a process.
0 Kudos
Francis_G_1
Beginner

This is quite an old post does anyone known if this is still a problem? I am currently evaluating the Parallel Studio 2016 edition.

The target I am trying to optimize is Intel64 running on Linux. Unfortunately due to an overzealous securityIT regime at my company it is very difficult for me to find test servers that have x11 libraries installed. Therefore I am typically capturing my data on Linux using amplxe-cl then tarring it up and ftp the tarball over to Windows to use the Windows viewer.

Due to the nature of my application transactional message protocol the Frames API should be very useful as long as thi sissue has been fixed.

In this issue is fixed could someone post a note to that effect?

0 Kudos
Ekaterina_L_Intel
Hello Francis, This limitation is not actual any longer. VTune Amplifier XE 2016 provides support for analysis of ITT API applications running in the Attach to Process mode. Regards, Katya
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

@ Francis G

Frame APIs could work on attach-mode, but VTune should know used itt domain object by calling__itt_domain_create() - it means if you need to run "domain creation", "frame begin", "frame end" after attaching a running process. Please see my blog

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

I need to apologize that using sleep(10) to delay is an old workaround for old product. As Katya said, current product supports to analyze frame API for attaching a running process. For example -

# export INTEL_LIBITTNOTIFY64=/opt/intel/vtune_amplifier_xe_2017/lib64/runtime/libittnotify_collector.so
# ./matrix2 &
[1] 31883

# amplxe-cl -c hotspots -target-pid 31883

You could get performance data in each frame.

0 Kudos