Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Getting Thread Profiler for Linux for evaluation

jsassojrnycap_rr_com
I have an HP laptop w/ Intel Core Duo processor, running Ubuntu 9.04. I'd like to evaluate Intel's Thread Profiler for Linux but I am having a hard time trying to obtain it. I did download and install [for eval] Thread Profiler and VTune for Windows, and the C++ compiler suite and VTune for Linux, yet the TP component does not appear to come with VTune for Linux. For example, tprofilevars.sh is not in the installation tree for VTune for Linux.

Is the eval version of VTune for Linux supposed to come with TP? If not, does this mean I have to purchase VTune w/o being able to evaluate TP for Linux?

I did register the copy of VTune for Linux and the C++ compiler suite for Linux w/ Intel, but when I went to registrationcenter.intel.com and looked at the product subscription info, for "Intel Thread Profiler for Windows* and Linux*" it says "No Downloads".

Any help would be much appreciated. thanks!

--john
0 Kudos
4 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Hi John:

It *is* a little confusing. Try this:
  1. Register for the eval of the VTune analyzer for Windows
  2. go to "My Products" in the registration center and locate the Thread Profiler for Windows component of the VTune analyzer product.
  3. Now, click on the download link for that component:
  4. Now, locate and click on the Remote Agent link:
  5. After downloading the tarball, copy to Linux system and untar, then execute install.sh script. I don't think a license file is required, but you may need to copy the license file for the VTune analyzer for Windows to the Linux system and make it available to the install.sh script.
Please let me know if this helps.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
There is also a linux native version of Thread Profiler, but it doesn't appear on the menu of products available for evaluation. Does this recommendation indicate that the remote agent driven from Windows is better supported than the linux native Thread Profiler?
0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee
Actually, the "native" Linux version is part of this Remote Agent package/tarball. You will find tprofile_cl installed in /opt/intel/itt/tprofile/bin/32 and 32e after installation. Also, we are no longer recommending the remote agent (ittserver) but, instead, recommend using the command line tool, tprofile_cl.

0 Kudos
jsassojrnycap_rr_com
Actually, the "native" Linux version is part of this Remote Agent package/tarball. You will find tprofile_cl installed in /opt/intel/itt/tprofile/bin/32 and 32e after installation. Also, we are no longer recommending the remote agent (ittserver) but, instead, recommend using the command line tool, tprofile_cl.

MrAnderson,

Sorry for the belated response. I did try your suggestion re: installing the remote agent, and it worked! This was a big help. I'm just getting started with ITP, and I hope it will help me uncover whether there are certain cache access issues (e.g. false sharing, conflict misses) which are causing the multi-threaded version of by C code to run slower than the serial version.
0 Kudos