Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4992 Discussions

Getting started: Linux/Windows combo help needed!

lhartzman
Beginner
Hello,

I've recently downloaded the trial version of VTune for Linux to be used with the Windows version for GUI purposes.

I went to the "Getting_Started.pdf" file in the 'doc' directory on the Linux box and got stopped in my tracks when the document said to enter in 'vtlec'. Well, looking in the 'bin' directory I discover that there is no such command.

So I now have some questions: is the documenation wrong, and if so where is the correct documentation? If the documentation is correct, was the download package incomplete and if so, where do I get the correct package?

Where will I find information on the use of the Windows GUI for analyzing the data collected on the Linux box? Is there anything special that needs to be done other than to ftp it to the windows box?

Thanks.

Les
0 Kudos
8 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
If you wish to run vtlec on linux,while displaying on a Windows machine, you must run an X server or VNC client on Windows.
Youcould install Windows VTune, and install the remote data collector for linux which comeswith it.
You could run vtlec on linux, andimport the .tb5 file and source code into Windows VTune. Too many choices? Your question implies elements of each.
0 Kudos
lhartzman
Beginner
Quoting - tim18
If you wish to run vtlec on linux,while displaying on a Windows machine, you must run an X server or VNC client on Windows.
Youcould install Windows VTune, and install the remote data collector for linux which comeswith it.
You could run vtlec on linux, andimport the .tb5 file and source code into Windows VTune. Too many choices? Your question implies elements of each.

You missed a very crucial point in my posting. I can't find vtlec in the installation on the Linux machine. It's not in the VTune bin directory or anywhere else for that matter. So before I worry about starting up a VNC client, I need to find the vtlec executable.

Les
0 Kudos
geoffrey-burling
Employee
Are you looking in /bin or /opt/intel/vtune/bin for vtlec? It should be in the latter directory.

Geoff
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Did you actually install successfully, by running the install.sh script in the unpacked tar file? This would populate the install directory (/opt/intel/vtune/ by default).

0 Kudos
lhartzman
Beginner
Quoting - tim18
Did you actually install successfully, by running the install.sh script in the unpacked tar file? This would populate the install directory (/opt/intel/vtune/ by default).

To answer the last 2 questions at once, I'm looking in the /opt/intel/vtune directory tree. I did not run install.sh as a sys admin installed the product on a node in our cluster. I will ask him on Monday if he took any shortcuts. ... the adventure continues!

Les
0 Kudos
lhartzman
Beginner
Quoting - lhartzman
Quoting - tim18

To answer the last 2 questions at once, I'm looking in the /opt/intel/vtune directory tree. I did not run install.sh as a sys admin installed the product on a node in our cluster. I will ask him on Monday if he took any shortcuts. ... the adventure continues!

Les
This morning I found out that the reason I'm not seeing vtlec is because the product that was installed was Windows VTune with Linux collectors.

The problem I'm having now is trying to set up an activity. It won't connect based on the username@ip address I give it. The Linux box reports an authorization problem. Is there a thread on this?

Thanks.

Les
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - lhartzman
This morning I found out that the reason I'm not seeing vtlec is because the product that was installed was Windows VTune with Linux collectors.

The problem I'm having now is trying to set up an activity. It won't connect based on the username@ip address I give it. The Linux box reports an authorization problem.
As we tried to point out earlier, the remote collector on the linux box has to gain root privilege. This should be discussed in installation instructions in the tar file. It's usually done, as with the native VTune, by setting up a special group (vtune suggested), for those allowed access, to be used only by the vtune collector when run by those accounts with permission. Admittedly, this raises security questions which might be of concern to a diligent sysadmin. However, it's less of a concern than is posed by the privilege required by VTune collector on Windows.
0 Kudos
lhartzman
Beginner
Quoting - tim18
As we tried to point out earlier, the remote collector on the linux box has to gain root privilege. This should be discussed in installation instructions in the tar file. It's usually done, as with the native VTune, by setting up a special group (vtune suggested), for those allowed access, to be used only by the vtune collector when run by those accounts with permission. Admittedly, this raises security questions which might be of concern to a diligent sysadmin. However, it's less of a concern than is posed by the privilege required by VTune collector on Windows.

After looking through the VTune knowledgebase, I was able to find the solution. It had to do with how the server was started, i.e., command line parameters. When I followed the directions in the article all started to work, well, relatively speaking.

In one activity I created and tried to run, I got the following error on the server side:

vtserver.bin: createfinalfile.cpp:1444: unsigned int TBSPrepareFinalFileExKW(unsigned int, char **, char *,
unsigned int *, unsigned int): Assertion `mrA->recLength >= k' failed

This activity was not launching a particular app, just collecting the world on a box. In another activity I created which did launch an executable, I got the following error on the Windows side:
Driver aborted due to too many sampling interrupts (SAV too low?)

Les

0 Kudos