Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Help with Vtune

Nagabhusan_N__Intel_
This is a query of my ISV Vmukti

I have used VTune Analyser but some queries are there....So please help me to understand the functions of VTune.
1)VTune always give analysis of Executables(.exe) files in our application so I want to know that whether I can use it for .dll files

2) I have made 1 application named Test and get Test.exe and then sampled it.It is displaying all the processes related to Test.exe...but when i try to get modules related to Test.exe process i got each and every modules from the system except Test.exe module
-> I have seen videos which you have send.In that video (application.exe) is displayed in modules list and when u double click on that module,It is giving the functions list to us and then we find the CPU usage from our code.
But here I am not getting Test.exe in modules list so It is not listing out functions from Test.exe and I am not able to analyze which line of function take more CPU usage so I am not able to use VTune for analyze my code......So I want to know is there any settings I have to made to work with the VTune Analyzer and analyze the code??

Requesting an early response...
0 Kudos
3 Replies
robert-reed
Valued Contributor II
I have used VTune Analyser but some queries are there....So please help me to understand the functions of VTune.
1)VTune always give analysis of Executables(.exe) files in our application so I want to know that whether I can use it for .dll files

VTune analyzer should work regardless whether the execution module is an EXE or a DLL, or a kernel driver. It collects data on whatever happens to be running in the system whether the Event Based Sampling collection is occurring.

2) I have made 1 application named Test and get Test.exe and then sampled it.It is displaying all the processes related to Test.exe...but when i try to get modules related to Test.exe process i got each and every modules from the system except Test.exe module
-> I have seen videos which you have send.In that video (application.exe) is displayed in modules list and when u double click on that module,It is giving the functions list to us and then we find the CPU usage from our code.
But here I am not getting Test.exe in modules list so It is not listing out functions from Test.exe and I am not able to analyze which line of function take more CPU usage so I am not able to use VTune for analyze my code......So I want to know is there any settings I have to made to work with the VTune Analyzer and analyze the code??

I'm trying to understand the text starting,"...when i try to get modules related to Test.exe process...." In the normal progression of event sampling, you should get a process display, which I think is what you're referring to, so it sounds like Test is showing up on the process display. At that point you'd want to be sure that line was selected in the display and choose the module view. By default it should list all the load modules of the Test process in the order of hot spot "hits." If Vtune analyzer ever interrupted system while Text.exe was executing, it should collect one sample from Test.exe, more if more time is spent there. Regardless, since you orginally constructed the VTune analyzer project to launch Test.exe, it should already be listed among the modules of interest and so should have a slot in the module display, even if it didn't site any samples. If you don't see this then something went wrong. It might be, though, that Test.exe spends so little time executing that VTune analyzer doesn't catch a sample; unlikely but possible.

0 Kudos
srimks
New Contributor II

VTune analyzer should work regardless whether the execution module is an EXE or a DLL, or a kernel driver. It collects data on whatever happens to be running in the system whether the Event Based Sampling collection is occurring.

I'm trying to understand the text starting, "...when i try to get modules related to Test.exe process...." In the normal progression of event sampling, you should get a process display, which I think is what you're referring to, so it sounds like Test is showing up on the process display. At that point you'd want to be sure that line was selected in the display and choose the module view. By default it should list all the load modules of the Test process in the order of hot spot "hits." If Vtune analyzer ever interrupted system while Text.exe was executing, it should collect one sample from Test.exe, more if more time is spent there. Regardless, since you orginally constructed the VTune analyzer project to launch Test.exe, it should already be listed among the modules of interest and so should have a slot in the module display, even if it didn't site any samples. If you don't see this then something went wrong. It might be, though, that Test.exe spends so little time executing that VTune analyzer doesn't catch a sample; unlikely but possible.

Highly recommend, since you seem to be from Intel, do refer and follow - "VTune Performance Analyzer Essentials - James Reinders" book, it should very well answer your query as asked.

Don't be specific w.r.t Win of Linux family file formats of executables, tools when they come in market they very well focus these two OS atleast.

Happy learning...

~BR

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Robert's question is about understanding what is meant by the question asked earlier in the thread. Robert is definitely an expert, probably one of those from whom James would have got information for the book.
0 Kudos