Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Intel Advisor cannot show source code of the selected function/loop

CRquantum
New Contributor I

Here is a problem ,

Intel Advisor cannot show source code of the selected function/loop

Screenshot 2021-09-18 192449.png

What happened and how to solve it?

I seem to have already added the folder of my Fortran f90 files in the project properties.

Thank you very much in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Denis_M_Intel
Employee

It looks like the selected function "for__acquire_semaphore_threaded" is not a function from the code of you application but a function from one of compiler libraries which was statically linked with your executable module. I found "for__acquire_semaphore_threaded"  in libifcoremt.lib which is a part of Intel compiler on my system. Such libraries are usually distributed without debugging information. That is why Advisor can't show source code for this function.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities. We could reproduce your issue. We're working on it internally. We'll get back to you with an update. Meanwhile we would like you to provide some information about your project:

1) The project you're working on and steps to reproduce.

2) Your OS details

Regards,

Alekhya

0 Kudos
CRquantum
New Contributor I

Sure thank you so much! The whole project is attached. Please check.

To Denis_M_Intel, I think I enabled debug info, please see screen shot below. Anyway, the project is attached, you could check. Thank you very much!

CRquantum_0-1632290730474.png

OS is windows 10 1909 as below,

CRquantum_0-1632324279236.png

0 Kudos
Denis_M_Intel
Employee

It looks like there is no debugging information for this function. Can you check that the module it belongs to has debug info? If the module has .pdb file, make sure its path is added to the Binary/Symbol search locations (Binary/Symbol and Source Search Order (intel.com)).

0 Kudos
Denis_M_Intel
Employee

It looks like the selected function "for__acquire_semaphore_threaded" is not a function from the code of you application but a function from one of compiler libraries which was statically linked with your executable module. I found "for__acquire_semaphore_threaded"  in libifcoremt.lib which is a part of Intel compiler on my system. Such libraries are usually distributed without debugging information. That is why Advisor can't show source code for this function.

0 Kudos
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

Has the solution provided helped? Could you please give us an update regarding this issue?

Regards,

Alekhya

0 Kudos
CRquantum
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
Zakhar_M_Intel1
Employee

Hello,

Just to elaborate more on this semaphore function from libifmcoremt library:

1) If needed, in Advisor, you can filter/choose your module of interest using Advisor's Filter by Module: 

Zakhar_M_Intel1_0-1632987157391.png

2) This function was prioritized by Advisor, because it is most time consuming "leaf" function with largest "Self Time" in your application, directly invoked by your ("user") code. It is so called "user+1" level function. To understand where it is invoked for  (in which context and why it is used) - you can open "Top-Down" tab, while having given function selected in the upper view:

Zakhar_M_Intel1_1-1632987274598.png

0 Kudos
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

Thank you for accepting our solution. If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread is no longer monitored by Intel.

Regards,

Alekhya

0 Kudos