Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Intel Advisor trip-count analysis halts

dimitrios_savvaoglou

Hello everyone! I have downloaded & installed the Intel Advisor software and I have been trying to perform a tripcount analysis in order to count how many times each function is called within a specific software program. The problem is that, while the survey analysis runs as normal, the tripcount analysis halts at this point:

dimsavv@dimsavv-virtual-machine:~/inputs$ advisor --collect=tripcounts --flop --project-dir=./advi -- ../WRF/test/em_real/wrf.exe

Intel(R) Advisor Command Line Tool
Copyright (C) 2009-2023 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
advisor: Opening result 25 % done
advisor: Preparing frequently used data 63 % done
advisor: Preparing frequently used data 100 % done
advisor: Collection started. To stop the collection, either press CTRL-C or enter from another console window: advisor -r /home/dimsavv/inputs/advi/e000/trc000 -command stop.
starting wrf task 0 of 1
advisor: Opening result 52 % Processing information for light dynamic instructi

Does anyone know why this is happening? Any information is welcome. Let me note that I am using Ubuntu 20.04 through a virtual machine and not on my native PC.

Alternatively, if there is no solution to the problem, can anyone please tell me if there is another way to count all the function calls for my program?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Ruslan_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

It doesn't halts but counts Dynamic Instruction mix (a number of instructions of each type/group). Sometimes it can take a while indeed (e.g. a lot of binaries to analyze or binaries are huge). As a workaround I'd recommend to re-run survey with --static-instruction-mix option. If it doesn't help you could also try to exclude some unrelated modules from analysis with --module-filter-mode=exclude --module-filter=foo1.so,foo2.so options.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ruslan_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

It doesn't halts but counts Dynamic Instruction mix (a number of instructions of each type/group). Sometimes it can take a while indeed (e.g. a lot of binaries to analyze or binaries are huge). As a workaround I'd recommend to re-run survey with --static-instruction-mix option. If it doesn't help you could also try to exclude some unrelated modules from analysis with --module-filter-mode=exclude --module-filter=foo1.so,foo2.so options.

0 Kudos
DiyaN_Intel

Hi,

Good day to you.

We have not heard back from you. Is your issue resolved with the above solution?

If this resolves your issue, make sure to accept this as a solution. This would help others with similar issue. Thank you!

Regards,

Diya

0 Kudos
DiyaN_Intel

Hi,

Glad to know that your issue is resolved. 

If you need any additional information, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Regards, 

Diya 

0 Kudos