Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

Intel VTune Amplifier XE 2011 for Linux supports Atom?

Robert_Yee
Beginner
The Release Notes for Intel VTune Amplifier XE 2011 for Linux does not mention support for the Intel Atom processor. Specifically, I'm interested in the Atom Z530 processor. Does anyone know if VTune supports this processor? And, if so, are there limitations? My company is thinking of purchasing VTune.

Thanks. Any help is appreciated.
Robert
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Hi,

Please read this article.

Thanks for your interests of using VTune Amplifier XE!

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
Robert_Yee
Beginner
Thanks, Peter. This helps a lot. One question that has arisen in my group is how profiling tools handle Hyperthreading in the Atom processor. Although it may appear to the OS as two logical CPUs, it is clearly not as efficient as having two physical CPUs. Is VTune aware of this and how does it account for this difference?

Any information is appreciated. Thanks.
Robert
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting Robert Yee
Thanks, Peter. This helps a lot. One question that has arisen in my group is how profiling tools handle Hyperthreading in the Atom processor. Although it may appear to the OS as two logical CPUs, it is clearly not as efficient as having two physical CPUs. Is VTune aware of this and how does it account for this difference?

Any information is appreciated. Thanks.
Robert

Hi Robert,

If the user enabled HT, there are double logical CPUs in systemto run yourprogram.

There is no CPU-affinity performance info provided by VTune Amplifier XE. Thereis timeline report, which tells user about CPU usage in specific time stamp, thread status (run, wait), etc. There isbottom-up report, which tells user about performance data categorized by Thread / Function / Stack.

Regards, Peter

0 Kudos
Robert_Yee
Beginner
Thanks again, Peter. So, just to be sure I understand correctly. For the Intel Atom (Z530) with HT enabled, VTune Amplifier XE will not provide per-CPU info but will provide info for a single CPU. The CPU utilization for the single CPU, I assume, would be an average of the CPU utilizations of the two logical CPUs (if that info were available). Is that how it works? Or is VTune Amplifier XE unaware of logical CPUs?

Robert
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Exactly. The product provides performance data on Thread-affinity, not on logic CPU affinity. CPU utilizationmeans average dataofall logic CPUs. (Even the tool collects data on CPU0, CPU1...but data not in report)

If you wants to know performance data on each logic CPU, you might use old VTune Performance Analyzer...seereport and click "CPU" icon on menu bar todisplay data on CPU0, CPU1, ...

Hope that I have answered your question!

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
Robert_Yee
Beginner
Yes, that answers my question. Thanks, Peter. The old VTune Performance Analyzer is still available for purchase from Intel?

Thanks again,
Robert
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
You can purchase Intel VTune Amplifier XE 2011, and the license file can be used for old VTune Performance Analyzer also:-)

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos