Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4995 Discussions

Intel VTune Profiler - "No data shows up".

andreasjh
Beginner

Hello, 

Whenever i run Inte VTune Profiler i get that no data show up which result that the "bottom-up" view only shows [Unknown] proccess with [No call stack information]. 

I have a feeling that i might have missed something important, but i can´t really figure out what i am doing wrong. So, i am hoping that who ever reads this might have an input on something i can try to get this to work. 

Information
OSMicrosoft Windows 10 Pro,
Tool: Intel oneAPI base toolkit (integrated in Visual studio 2019)
Compiler: Intel C++ 2021
Curr. Path:  PATH=C:\Program Files(x86)\Intel\oneAPI\compiler\2021.2.0\windows\redist\ia32_win\compiler;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\mkl\2021.2.0\redist\ia32;%PATH%
Versions: MSVS 2019 v16.9, Intel oneAPI (latest), Intel VTune Profiler 2021 (v.2021.2.0.615922)
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 6 cores, 12 logicals.

Things i have tried:
* Reinstalled MSVS (including removing old versions & enviroment paths) 
* Reinstalled oneAPI basekit 
* Tried setting env. path according to "oneAPI" <i
nstall-dir>\env\vars.bat
* Tried diffrent env. paths pointing to intel <install-dir>. 
* Setting compiler opt in VS19: /Zi, Release, /MD, /D, /QopenMP.
* Launched profiler from "standalone" and inside VS19 (both for my current .exe file)
* I have tried setting up binaries to: ".pbr" file inside VS19 project. 

Possible faults that i can think of:
*That i need to compile with /debug:inline-debug-info (I have tried with debug:full, since i cant set the inline function. any idea on how to do that in VS19?)
* That i need to point at correct Binary/Symbol Search. (Maybe someone can give an example on how to point at "correct"?)
* That i have missed som parameter in "Project properties" (i have tried many diffrent parameters, but im not sure i have tried correct ones..)

Any tips would be appriciated, thanks in advance.

best, 

Andreas

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
ArunJ_Intel

Hi andreasjh,

By "no data show up" I assume you are referring to debug information(module/callstack) being missing in vtune report. Intel® VTune™ Profiler requires debug information for the binary files it analyzes to obtain accurate performance data and enable source analysis. Debug information for windows is provided in PDB files 

If you are building your app in release mode you have to generate debug information manually. Please find the steps to generate debug information in the below link.

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/vtune-help/top/set-up-analysis-target/windows-targets/debug-information-for-windows-application-binaries.html

In case your application is written in dpcpp running on GPU, compile code with -gline-tables-only and -fdebug-info-for-profiling options.

Thanks

Arun

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ArunJ_Intel

Hi andreasjh,

By "no data show up" I assume you are referring to debug information(module/callstack) being missing in vtune report. Intel® VTune™ Profiler requires debug information for the binary files it analyzes to obtain accurate performance data and enable source analysis. Debug information for windows is provided in PDB files 

If you are building your app in release mode you have to generate debug information manually. Please find the steps to generate debug information in the below link.

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/vtune-help/top/set-up-analysis-target/windows-targets/debug-information-for-windows-application-binaries.html

In case your application is written in dpcpp running on GPU, compile code with -gline-tables-only and -fdebug-info-for-profiling options.

Thanks

Arun

0 Kudos
andreasjh
Beginner

Thanks for the answer, ArunJ_Intel

Yes, by "no data shows up" i ment that the Function/Call Stack only showed [Unknown] -> [No call stack info]. It is stated in the reference guide that i need some debug information, but it also  states that the compilation shall be in Release mode - which cause some confusion..

I did manage to solve my problem by switching to a linux partition from windows. When running the VTune CLI in the linux shell, i saw that i was missing some PATH for the performance measurement. Although i installed a linux partition, the soulution should work on Windows. But i find it rather wierd that the VTune does not flag for any missing paths in the GUI, nor on Windows or Linux.

So, after i fixed the missing path i could compile my program in "Debug-mode" with -g flag activated -> ensure my input arguments was right -> target the source code to my application -> run analysis. 

Thanks
Andreas

0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Thanks andreasjh for accepting the answer as solution. Just an additional note you could get debug level information similar to using -g flag on windows by selecting Debug Information Format field as Program Database (/Zi) in Configuration Properties > C/C++> General.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored as this issue has been resolved.

0 Kudos