Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

Intel Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d)

inteligence
Beginner
Thought I'd share this with all those interested in virtualization. I read it yesterday in Parallels press release for Workstation 2.1, and it seems as though they are the only software company making efforts to keep up with Intel's technology...

"Parallels announced that future versions of Parallels virtualization products will offer full support for Intels next generation of hardware virtualization technology, Intel Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d), which extends virtualization support into the platform by making it possible to robustly assign IO devices to virtual machines (VMs) in a virtualized system. This enables devices to be driven directly by the native/physical driver when assigned to a virtual machine, resulting in significantly faster virtual machine performance.

Intel is delivering relevant innovations for virtualization solution providers including Intel Virtualization Technology for CPU (VTx) and Directed IO (VTd), Dual Core microprocessors and Intel Core Microarchitecture, said David Tuhy, General Manager of Intel's Desktop Products Division. "Parallels has taken full advantage of VTx in Parallels Workstation 2.1, and we look forward to continued collaboration with Parallels on enabling new platform capabilities such as VTd which will help improve the reliability, performance and flexibility of I/O devices on virtual machines.

You can read the full press release at: http://www.parallels.com/en/news/id,8562

0 Kudos
1 Reply
virtualized
Beginner
I am a b-tech CSE student starting my MINI PROJECT - its a group of 3 project ---
design & implementation of "A VIRTUAL MACHINE MONITOR FOR X86 PLATFORM " . We are at the moment going through the Intel jounal issue on VT technology and would like to utilize the Hardware level virtualization support on our VMM which we suppose is going to be in the family of the likes of XEN etc , which does not need a host OS.

ANY sort of HELP including IDEAS, CRITICISM, ADVICE, REFERENCES to READABLE CONTENT, PEOPLE working in this DOMAIN , PARTNERSHIP in the project if interested, GUIDELINES
is greatly WELCOME .

SERIOUSLY LOOKING FORWARD TO BE VIRTUALIZED

0 Kudos