Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

Known Limitations of the Inspector Analysis?

Michael_Wieczorek
Hi! We want to analyse a C++-application which uses among others libraries from Qt and ACE/TAO. We are using the command line to start the analysis. Due to the fact that there are a lot of DLLs in our system we use the option "-module-filter" to minimize the number of analyzed files. Nevertheless we have got the problem, that the analyse-run "stops"... the app freezes! There is no progress in the process explorer any more.... Are there any known limitations we have to know? e.g. - size of the loaded DLLs, which shall be analyzed - problems with GUI components, which are involved - limitations of the number of pinned/cached memory locations (I don't know how the inspxe work) e.g. while freezing RAM stood at 1.249.880 / 781.148 (privat bytes / working set) - ... I know that my question is a little general, but I don't know in which direction I could investigate to identify and solve this problem... any experiences, any ideas? Many thanks! Michael BTW: OS: Win7 64-bit RAM: 24GB
0 Kudos
2 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...I know that my question is a little general, but I don't know in which direction I could investigate to identify and >>solve this problem... any experiences, any ideas? I would exclude ALL DLLs and if everything is OK during anaysis than I would start adding one DLL at a time until the problem is reproduced. In that case you will know exactly a DLL responsible for that problem.
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

I suggest to use command line instead of integrated Visual Studio mode.

Open two consoles and ensure: 1. They can run your application 2. Run inspxe-vars.bat

In one console: inspxe-cl -collect mi2 -r r001mi2 -module-filter-mode=include -module-filter=your-program -- your-program (for example)

When you got some problems, do stop in other console: inspxe-cl -command stop -r r001mi2

Will it go smoothly to stop analysis? What are error message you will see? 

0 Kudos