Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4999 Discussions

Line Number information not available

tibco123
Beginner
I am trying to use Vtune to profile the C++ Application Crash cause. But when i browse through the DLL's of interest, i get an error "line number information is not available" and asks for "would you like to continue with assembly level code?".

If you say "yes", it points to instruction level code.

PS: The Application is compiled with -g option.

Please provide me any pointers to the problem.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Thomas_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - tibco123
I am trying to use Vtune to profile the C++ Application Crash cause. But when i browse through the DLL's of interest, i get an error "line number information is not available" and asks for "would you like to continue with assembly level code?".

I'm not sure if I'm following. The application is compiled with debug information but the (performance-critical) library is not. Does this describe your situation?

Are you planning to optimize the library or are you planning to optimize the usage of it?

Kind regards
Thomas
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - tibco123

I don't know if you are using sampling profiling or call graph profiling?

If using call graph profiling - note that statically linked executable are not fully supported. To avoid this problem, dynamically link your application for call graph profiling.

Ifusing sampling profiling - pleasetry toexit VTune Analyzer, cleanup oldsymbolinfo under /opt/intel/vtune/global_data/ISM, then reenter VTune Analyzer. Thus, VTune Analyzer will re-check your program. It should work if you compiled the program with "-g" option.

If the problem persists on, please provide your test caseto submitthis issue to https://premier.intel.com

Thanks, Peter
0 Kudos