Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

MPI jobs on VTune

arvindusa
Beginner

am new to vtune. How to create runtime environment for MPI(MVAPICH) jobs in vtune?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - arvindusa

am new to vtune. How to create runtime environment for MPI(MVAPICH) jobs in vtune?

You can set up the environment for running MPI and then launch VTune, or you can put it all in a script and launch that in VTune. If you don't use a script, the bare mpiexec or mpirun command is the one you choose for VTune to launch, and the rest of the command line (e.g. -n 8 yourexec ....) goes in the parameters box in VTune. If you want to run VTune sessions on multiple nodes, you would probably want to use a per node script. Perhaps you might get more information on the HPC forum.

It helps to link static MPI libraries, if you want to see the MPI functions in VTune analysis. That still is not as useful as the Intel Trace Analyzer and Collector for profiling the MPI calls.

0 Kudos
arvindusa
Beginner
Quoting - tim18

You can set up the environment for running MPI and then launch VTune, or you can put it all in a script and launch that in VTune. If you don't use a script, the bare mpiexec or mpirun command is the one you choose for VTune to launch, and the rest of the command line (e.g. -n 8 yourexec ....) goes in the parameters box in VTune. If you want to run VTune sessions on multiple nodes, you would probably want to use a per node script. Perhaps you might get more information on the HPC forum.

It helps to link static MPI libraries, if you want to see the MPI functions in VTune analysis. That still is not as useful as the Intel Trace Analyzer and Collector for profiling the MPI call

i tried run MPI jobs on Vtune

the error message is as follows

[root@localhost bin]# ./mpirun -np 2 /opt/intel/vtune/bin/vtl activity -c sampling -app ./../examples/basic/systest
VTune Performance Analyzer 9.1 for Linux*. FOR NON-COMMERCIAL USE ONLY build 102
Copyright (C) 2000-2008 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

VTune Performance Analyzer 9.1 for Linux*. FOR NON-COMMERCIAL USE ONLY build 102
Copyright (C) 2000-2008 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

The project is already open and cannot be used. Another VTune Performance Environment session has opened it.

MPI process terminated unexpectedly
Error: unable to create environment file "./environment.xml" on localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1): [ERROR] The Sampling Collector failed to start because the driver is not loaded now!

Error: unable to create environment file "./environment.xml" on localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1): [ERROR] The Sampling Collector failed to start because the driver is not loaded now!

Child exited abnormally!
Killing remote processes...DONE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

what was my mistake ?

how to work on gui version of VTune?

-arvind.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

If you are running a single node, run mpirun inside VTune, as I tried to suggest earlier. On multiple nodes, you can run a separate instance of vtune on each node.

0 Kudos
arvindusa
Beginner
Quoting - tim18

If you are running a single node, run mpirun inside VTune, as I tried to suggest earlier. On multiple nodes, you can run a separate instance of vtune on each node.

how to run mpirun inside VTune?

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - arvindusa

how to run mpirun inside VTune?

make a script which runs the job, or browse to and set mpirun as the executable, and put the rest of the command line as arguments.

0 Kudos
arvindusa
Beginner
Quoting - tim18

make a script which runs the job, or browse to and set mpirun as the executable, and put the rest of the command line as arguments.

am new to VTUne and am a student, I didn't get your words,

am using first time use wizard in VTune , it promts me that application shouldn't be script(mpirun is script ).

arguments are passed in datafile.txt.

what do you wanted me to do to get it through?

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - arvindusa

am using first time use wizard in VTune , it promts me that application shouldn't be script(mpirun is script ).

arguments are passed in datafile.txt.

I guess you can't do call graphing of a scriipt, but that can be done with a single process by VTune or gprof. Letting VTune run a script is a normal way of doing event sampling, which is the main reason for using VTune. If the application picks up arguments from a file, by all means continue to use that, but the minimum arguments to be provided for mpiexec or mpirun are e.g. -n 4 ./yourexe. Yes, mpirun is a script for mpich based MPI such as Intel MPI, but I've never seen a rejection of those or my own scripts for VTune event sampling.

0 Kudos
arvindusa
Beginner
Quoting - tim18

I guess you can't do call graphing of a scriipt, but that can be done with a single process by VTune or gprof. Letting VTune run a script is a normal way of doing event sampling, which is the main reason for using VTune. If the application picks up arguments from a file, by all means continue to use that, but the minimum arguments to be provided for mpiexec or mpirun are e.g. -n 4 ./yourexe. Yes, mpirun is a script for mpich based MPI such as Intel MPI, but I've never seen a rejection of those or my own scripts for VTune event sampling.

am trying use first time use wizard, am not using scripts to run, am trying to run it from VTune GUI(./vtlec)

could you list steps for running MPI jobs ?

-arvind.

0 Kudos
srimks
New Contributor II
Hi,
Probably, use "Intel Trace Analyzer & Collector" to perform MPI profiling alongwith plug-in PAPI(http://icl.cs.utk.edu/papi/), but Intel Trace Analyzer & Collector limits to Intel-MPI, HP-MPI & MVAPICH only.
PAPI is needed for counter information.
HIH.
~BR

0 Kudos