Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Missing debug symbols with Intel Fortran and optimization

Tugnoli__Matteo
Beginner

Hello everyone, 

I am trying to profile my application with VTune Amplifier 2018.

If I compile my application with GCC everything works fine. However with Intel fortran and optimizations higher or equal to -O1 VTune fails to find the debug symbols, i.e. compiling with

-g -O2

fails to find the debug symbols, and so cannot display the source code of the functions, while using

-g -O0 

works fine. If I collect data with the optimized code, then recompile with -g -O0 and then re-resolve the collected data, debug symbols are found correctly, however it is quite inconvenient. 

How can I get both an optimized executable and correct debug symbols compiling with intel fortran?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Denis_M_Intel
Employee

Hello,
 What compiler version is it? Can you check that addr2line Linux utility is able to show function names and source lines for the binary file built with -O2? Can you reproduce the issue on another (some "hello word" application) and attach it? 

Re-resolving VTune result with recompiled binaries is not recommended because it could lead to wrong attribution of performance data to functions and source lines.

0 Kudos