Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

.NET Windows Service

alex_herrer
Beginner
Any idea how to profile a .NET Windows Service in VTune 9? ... I tried profiling it like a regular service but I keep getting a runtime error:

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

-Alex
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - alex.herrer
Any idea how to profile a .NET Windows Service in VTune 9? ... I tried profiling it like a regular service but I keep getting a runtime error:

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

-Alex

Hi Alex,

If you want to profile with .NET Service application, please use Sampling Wizard->.NET profiling->Executable->Application to launch.

Regarding that you got the problem to terminate the application when sampling data collection stops, I suggest you to change "Configure Sampling" (modify the activity) : 1) Set Duration 2) Uncheck "Terminate application when Activity ends". Thus, sampling data collection will not stop your .NET application when it stops.

You need to manually shut down .NET Service for next run.

Regards, Peter
0 Kudos
alex_herrer
Beginner
Hi Peter,

That didn't work :-( ... I'm getting a popup saying:

"Windows Service Start Failure
Cannot start service from the command line or debugger. A Windows Service must first be installed and then started with the Windows services Administrative tool."

Any idea?

-Alex

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Quoting - alex.herrer
Hi Peter,

That didn't work :-( ... I'm getting a popup saying:

"Windows Service Start Failure
Cannot start service from the command line or debugger. A Windows Service must first be installed and then started with the Windows services Administrative tool."

Any idea?

-Alex

Hi Alex,

You can profile a .NETservicethat you launch it outside of the VTune Performance Analyzer. In Sampling Wizard, use the no-application-to-launch mode.

Yes.The serviceshould be installed first, then

• Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.

• Right-click Services and select Properties.

The <Service Name> Properties dialog box opens.

• Select Log On tab.

• Select This account option and specify the account of the user that does profiling.

• Regards, Peter
    0 Kudos