Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

Never completes

Christopher_Pisz
Beginner
I created a "development test" toexercise a set of classes from production code that are responsible for a task that leaks memory every time it is done, according to process explorer.

The code seems to leak 2MB each time and does not stop until the system memory is exhausted.

When I run the development test in debug, it completes and exits with code 0 within 5 minutes.
When I profile it with Inspector XE, the anlysis never completes, not even if I leave it over night.

What should I be trying? What should I look at?

I've also tried the Inspector configuration option to step through with the debugger to a break point for start of profiling and another breakpoint for stop of profilingand that exercise causes inspector to throw an unhandled exception and crash.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Rob5
New Contributor II

Christopher,

Can you let me know your operating system (Assuming Windows*) and version. Can you also provide the Intel Inspector XE command line being ran. If you are using the GUI interface, you can obtain the command line by clicking on the show command Line button on the Analysis Type tab. Are you running Intel Inspector XE with Visual Studio integration? If so, which version?

Does the application crash or exhaust system memory outside of Intel Inspector XE when the application is compiled normally? Any clarification you can provide in this area is appreciated.

Does the application being analyzed, run as system and / or is it a Windows service for example? any information here may help diagnose the behavior and determine next course of action.

Are you Running Intel Inspector XE 2011 update 9? If not you may wish to apply update 9 which may be available to you at the Intel Registration center https://registrationcenter.intel.com after logging into your account.

If needed, are you able to provide a minimal zipped up solution reproducer where we may be able to replicate the issue and run tests?

- Rob

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Analysis can fail even with 24GB RAM if you have too many samples. My cases shouldn't be typical, but I have to go to the lower part of the properties menu to set an expected time of 3 hours in order to limit the sampling rate and be successful with a 1 or 2 minute sampling run. I guess if you don't have 4GB RAM or less you might have trouble even with a 100MB .tb6 file. If you capture the command line, you could increase the sample-after values before running it as another way to limit your sampling.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pisz
Beginner
Running on
Windows Server 2003 SP2 through VMWare (not sure version)
Using Visual Studio 2008 Integration
Application did not crash or exhaust memory outside of inspector

Command Line:
inspxe-cl -collect mi3 -knob resources=true -knob memory-growth=true -knob stack-depth=16 -knob analyze-stack=true -knob duplicate-elimination=true -mrte-mode=native -module-filter-mode=include -app-working-dir "C:\Perforce\trunk\ATMS2\Server\Development Tests\DevTest_StatusClient" --search-dir sym=c:/Perforce/trunk/ATMS2/bin/Debug --search-dir sym=C:/Perforce/trunk/ATMS2/Server --search-dir sym=srv*C:/Windows/symbols --search-dir sym=srv*c:/windows/symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols --search-dir sym=C:/Perforce/trunk/ATMS2/DBServer/UtilityBlade/src/Debug --search-dir sym=c:/Perforce/trunk/ATMS2/ThirdParty/DcomPerm/Debug -- c:\Perforce\trunk\ATMS2\bin\Debug\DevTest_StatusClient.exe

The code being tested usually was taken from a multi tier system and narrowed down to a contained executable which calls some ATL/COM components, which run in process and out of process.

the Intel software Manager says I am running Intel Inspector XE 2013 beta Update 1, but it also says I have the latetest. I will try to redownload.

I cannot provide source, as my employer would get upset. It would also require all kind of COM configuration.
0 Kudos
Rob5
New Contributor II

Christopher,

Can you attempt a mi1 (detect leaks) level analysis and also set the stack depth to 8 instead of 16? Does the behavior change? In the same environment, does Intel Inspector XE complete an analysis on other applications? This information may help narrow the scope of the problem.

Thanks
Rob

0 Kudos
Rob5
New Contributor II

Christopher,

I see you may have a related Forum thread here. Let me know if you are proceeding with that forum thread or wish to continue this one. Peter mentioned aspects related to COM support and some suggestions. My approach is to simplify and narrow the possible scope in an attempt to determine a path forward. That may not be possible in this situation. Of course, if you have a simplified reproducer we can build in VS, that would be optimal. We would then be able to run various tests to determine scope and a possible path forward.

- Rob

0 Kudos