Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)

No Instrumented analysis under VS2012?

thevinn
Beginner

I am using Visual Studio 2012 Professional with Intel C++ Studio XE 2013, and I can't seem to find the instrumented analysis type. There is only event based sampling. But I remember that when I was using VTune under Visual Studio 2010 there was an instrumented analysis.

What happened?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

"Instrumentation" is a technology in analysis, there is no no "Instrumentation Analysis" type.

Please use Hotspots analysis, Concurrency analysis, or Locksandwaits analysis - they includes "Instrumentation" technology.

0 Kudos
thevinn
Beginner

Peter:

Instrumentation is when the profiler inserts hooks into your functions to count the precise number of times they are called as well as exactly how much time was spent. Its a step that usually takes place during the linking. The previous version of Intel VTune Amplifier had this feature. But now it seems that all I can find is "Lightweight Hotspots", which in the previous version was just hardware sampling. Is it true that the latest version of VTune Amplifier only supports hardware sampling for all analysis types and no longer has the instrumented analysis feature?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee

>> The previous version of Intel VTune Amplifier had this feature.

That is VTune Performance Analyzer, instrumentation was used in Call Graph feature

>> But now it seems that all I can find is "Lightweight Hotspots", which in the previous version was just hardware sampling.

That is true.

>> Is it true that the latest version of VTune Amplifier only supports hardware sampling for all analysis types and no longer has the instrumented analysis feature?

Besides "hardware sampling", we also have "software sampling" - user mode sampling (Hotspots, Locksandwaits, Concurrency analysis), interruption source was from OS timer instead of PMU resource. Instrumentation technology will be used when tracking all thread activities, thread APIs dynamically. BUT instrumenting on whole binary then reloading new binary (like Call Graph) will not happen.   

0 Kudos