Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4998 Discussions

No LLC_MISS metric for sandy bridge?

kula85
Beginner
Hello everyone,
I'm trying to measure LLC_MISS on my sandy bridge machine. But I could not find it anywhere in the vtune. Vtune has support for sandy bridge specific events, but not for general events like LLC_MISS. Is there any work around? thank you so much.
yuanfang
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Hi Yuanfang,

(Assume that you use latest VTune Amplifier XE Update 6). Please use event MEM_LOAD_MISC_RETIRED.LLC_MISS_PS in "General Exploration" analysis,

Use formula: (MEM_LOAD_MISC_RETIRED.LLC_MISS_PS * 180) / CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.THREAD. Investigate if -
% cycles for LLC miss .2

"General Exploration" report will highlight crtical functions which meet above condition. If you create your own analysis type, you have to calculate the value by yourself.

Regards, Peter

0 Kudos
kula85
Beginner
Hi Peter,

thank you for the answer. Before this, I looked into LONGEST_LAT_CACHE.MISS and LONGEST_LAT_CACHE.REFERENCE as a way to measure L3 misses. Manual describe this event as "Core-originated cacheable demand requests missed LLC". For me, I seems promising. So is it correct to use that?

thank you,
yuanfang
0 Kudos
kula85
Beginner
Peter,

you meant to say MEM_LOAD_UOPS_MISC_RETIRED.LLC_MISS_P, right? btw, any reason for the secret number 180?

yuanfang
0 Kudos
Peter_W_Intel
Employee
Please download / read pdf file from this article to know more in detail.
0 Kudos