Analyzers
Talk to fellow users of Intel Analyzer tools (Intel VTune™ Profiler, Intel Advisor)
4975 Discussions

No data to show in Vtune Amplifier

danielsue
Beginner

Hi All,

I am testing a fortran parallel program with Vtune Amplifier. After running basic hotspots analysis, I can get the result in summary and bottom-up, but when I double click the function shown in Bottom-up, I always get "No data to show". The application is not running very fast and there should be enough time for Vtune Amplifier to collect data.

I did follow the step provided in the tutorial Finding Hotspots and tried the example in the tutorial (Intel® VTune™ Amplifier 2013 for Windows* OS, Fortran Sample Application Code, Document Number: 327358-004), but still return "no data to show".

My platform is WIN7 X64 + Intel Parallel Studio XE2013 + Visual Studio.NET 2010.

Anything wrong with my setting?

Thanks and regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos
6 Replies
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Hi Daniel:

Are you double-clicking on a function with lots of time associated with it?  How long does the application run?  How much time is in the function?  Does the function have symbol information available (that is, did you compile with debug info and the function is not in a static library)?

0 Kudos
danielsue
Beginner

Hi MrAnderson,

I think the application time is sufficient. I tried with even larger running time, but the same.

The function name cannot be displayed. When I use the sample code "NQueens-OpenMP" (Intel\Composer XE 2013\Samples\en_US\Fortran), the function name cannot be displayed in the column Function/Call Stack and Function(Full), only the project names are displayed in these two columns. This is different with the description in the Tutorial.

The program is build in release with full debug information output.

Please find the screenshot in the attached files.

Thanks and regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the screenshots, that helps tons!!

Whenever you see a module name with square brackets around it, e.g., [NQueens-OpenMP.exe], it means that the VTune Amplifier XE did not  find any symbol information for this module.  Without symbol information, nothing about functions or source lines can be displayed.  Please ensure that you built the Debug Release version of the application *or* you enabled debug info in the Release build.

0 Kudos
danielsue
Beginner

Hi MrAnderson,

If the application is built in debug version, the functions and source lines can be displayed. But this does not work if the application is built in release version with "/debug:full". Anyway, I can test my program in debug version.

Thanks so much!

Regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos
David_A_Intel1
Employee

You are welcome, Daniel. :)

For the Release version, you must ensure that debug info is enabled in both the compiler and link phases of the build process.

0 Kudos
danielsue
Beginner

Hi MrAnderson,

Thanks. The problem is solved. I didn't enable "Generate Debug Info" in the link phases before. Now it can work in both debug version and release version.

Thanks again,

Daniel

0 Kudos